Shadow creek was just a couple of hours from Brownsville and we arrived at the house at midnight. Drew patted my back once in the house as if trying to reassure me that all will be fine.

"We'll head out once the day breaks. I hope there's good news by then. Goodnight, man. Try to get some sleep."

"Yeah... thanks," I forced a smile on my face to show appreciation.

I watched him go up the stairs to his room and I sighed. I had called Drew immediately I sensed something was out of place, an hour after she went to the ladies room and she still wasn't back. I handed my card over to the waiter and went in search of the Freya. I called her name from outside the door but no reply. It didn't even sound like there was anyone in there. A female waiter walked past and inquired what I needed. I told her I was looking for my girlfriend and she went in the restroom but came out with a negative reply.

"No one is in there, sir."

I begged her to check again and she did but still same reply. I ran out of the building incase she had wandered off in her drunken state. She wasn't out there. I couldn't feel her presence, instead it was replaced with a weird unsettling feeling and I knew it wasn't going to be fine.

**************

"Update," Drew asked the sheriff as we came to a halt in front of him.

"Good morning to you too." he started. "We checked around the restaurant they had dinner. We checked the shops close by, the hotels and low scale motels. We checked grocery stores and even hangout areas and lounges. We also looked at the CCTV footage in the area and the one in the restaurant..."

"And?" I asked, my patience running out. All I needed was for him to hit the nail on the freaking head and spare me all the details of how they carried out their job.

"...and we couldn't find her," he concluded.

"I freaking knew it," I kicked my foot against the concrete walk path. "Well fuck!"

"But," he continued. "A lady with the description you gave us was caught on one of the cameras leaving the building with a weirdly dressed woman. We don't know for sure if she was following the woman or leaving on her own considering there was a bit of distance between them but we linked the footage to that of the other cameras at different locations and we found them headed the same way until they got to a turn with no CCTV."

"Freya would never leave. It's the woman."

"Do you know any close relation that we could follow up with?" Another cop I didn't even notice was standing there spoke up.

I smoothened the crease in my forehead as I tried to think deep to any conversation we had about family. "Uhm... we never really talked about our families. She told me her mom had passed and we never talked about her dad or about her having any close relation."

"Okay... could you please give us her personal details like her full name, her age and body description. We'll run it in the system and see if we can come up with anything. Also, it's been over 24 hours. We've already filed it as a case of a missing person. My colleagues have gone out to question people around the area to see what information they can gather. We're doing our best to find your wife, Mr Callaghan. You'll be the first to know if anything comes up." The second cop that looked like an underfed Dwayne Johnson said to me.

I had nothing to say. Absolutely nothing. Drew shook the hands of both officers and we walked back to his car.

"I told you," was all I said as I stared straight into space.