Chapter 18

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Javier's POV

"She was here. She was here, beside me, in her floral print dinner dress. She looked the happiest I've seen her and her smile was synonymous to content, happiness. Her eyes looked tired though but I figured it was from the drink she had. I had stopped her after the second glass and we had decided to call it a day when she excused herself for the restroom. It's been over three hours and I can't find her. She was here... beside me... and now she's gone."

"Sir, May I ask what she was wearing?" The stout, pot-bellied sheriff, who looked like he had a big fat double-portion of fries before coming over, asked me as I tried to rein in my anger and impatience.

"I already told your colleague all that happened!"

He held his two hands out and waved them up and down slowly. "You need to calm down, sir. We have to go over these questions to avoid leaving any information out. This is vital to the case. It's protocol."

"Well, damn protocol!" I couldn't keep it together anymore.

"Javi, you need to calm down..." Drew tried speaking up but I shut him up with my rounded fist.

"Freya has been gone for three hours now and all you can do is sit back and run over a couple of questions when she could be in danger. What the fuck is wrong with you people?!"

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to calm down," a lady cop standing beside the stout man had her hands on her taser gun.

"I can't deal with this shit!" I scoffed and turned to leave the restaurant.

"Javi, wait up!"

I kept on walking. I had to leave there. I couldn't waste one more second answering pointless questions when Freya was out there. I had a bad feeling about this. The bad feeling had been with me since I returned from my job in Africa but it reached its peak the moment I realized Freya was gone. What the hell happened? One minute we were having the best time celebrating her birthday and the next it's all panic and chaos at her sudden disappearance. Where could she possibly be?

"Javi! Wait up, man!" Drew's strong grip on my arm halted my movement.

"Let go!"

"I'm sorry but I can't do that. You're not in the right state to leave."

"So what do you expect me to do? Sit back and answer a bunch of dumb questions that wouldn't bring her back. She's fucking out there, man! She's on the move to somewhere I don't know. I can't sit back!" I felt a great mass of energy gather in my fist and I knew whatever object was unfortunate to come in contact with my fist in that moment would go to ruin.

"Calm down. What if she just took a stroll and got lost? You said it yourself. She was drunk and looked tired. She could be anywhere on the street. She could've fallen asleep anywhere. It could be anything, Javi. Anything."

"Yes, it could be anything but it's far worse than you think it is. I know it is. I just have this feeling, Drew. I know she's not okay and I feel horrible with the passing of every hour, every minute, every second, knowing she's getting farther away from me. Drew, I need to look for her," my sweaty palms found their way to my heated face and cupped my cheek as if offering comfort.

"It's not even up to 24 hours. You know you can only file her as a missing person after 24 hours. I had to pull a few strings to get the police to show up. Why not relax and let them do their job tonight. We start looking tomorrow. How about that?"

"Tomorrow may be too late, Drew. And I would never forgive myself if it is."

"Why not be optimistic about this situation. Let's try to rest today. Tomorrow, we start looking alongside the police," he released his grip on my arm a bit. "Come, I'll drive you home."