Chapter 16

"You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back." ~Barbara De Angelis

Javier's POV

"So Javi, I wanted to talk to you about something," Hayden started over breakfast and I turned my attention to him.

"What is it about?"

"I could stop by the office later today?" he asked and I wondered what was so important that he needed to come to my office.

"I don't see a reason why. You could just tell me now."

"Uhm... it's about work," he scratched his head and took a long sip of his coffee.

"What about it?"

"I have finally thought up something I think I'll be good at and it's linked to you," he said.

"In what way if I may ask?"

"Okay, so here goes... uhm you're a physiotherapist and a fitness trainer right?" I nodded my reply and he forged on. "I want to handle the web aspect of your clinic. You know the world is changing, tech is taking over everything and it is only right that we expand with the trends of the world and make maximum profit out of it. So I want to start up a tech company, maybe more like put together a small group of tech people. We'll set up websites for business owners like pops for instance, and manage these sites too, we'll handle any tech issue at your company also. I want to begin with you because you have something sellable, at least for the web market," he paused, as if to get a reaction from me but I masked my expression and raised a brow urging him on.

"I want to help you develop a site where you can post fitness tips, people can pay for online consultations, get feeding & diet plans at an amount, order for their fitness equipments online and have it delivered to them and even request for a personal trainer. You can get more clients this way and you don't have to focus only on shadow creek and neighboring towns. You could go global," he concluded.

A thick silence blanketed the air and no one had words to say, nothing sharp enough to cut through it.

I scratched the stubble on my jaw as I went over all he had said in my head. His business proposal was nothing short of great but I was torn between my loyalty to the people and my need for expansion. My brothers and I made a silent pact within ourselves. To be nothing like our father. Greediness, promiscuity, quick to anger, amongst other shitty traits were behaviors we promised never to emulate. I know it was nothing like it but all our businesses have been in shadow creek and towns related to ours. No one had ever thought of expanding our scope, at least not until now.

"Am I missing something?" Hayden asked, confused as to why the whole table went silent. "It's a good initiative, yeah?" he added.

"You know all our businesses have never gone beyond shadow creek, right?" Drew spoke up.

"I know. Which is why this will be something worth giving a shot," Hayden countered.

"It's not that easy, Hay hay. No one really wants to leave shadow creek. Our loyalty lies with the town. You know how much support and trust they have given us."

"Don't call me that. And I know but we wouldn't be leaving shadow creek. In fact, we'll be helping the town by creating more jobs and expanding our horizon. Our town would get a place in the web market. I don't see how that is a bad idea."

"Drew?" I called out to him and he arched his brows.

Drew shrugged and rose his hands, indicating a back out. "What, man... it's you he's asking, not me."

I sighed. What a way to welcome me back to town. Less than a week that I've been back and I already have to deal with business proposals and work stuff.