Time to Go

Dereks pov

I wake up with Cassie, emotionally exhausted. Even with Cassie present, my mate, my mood didnt lighten. She helps me get dressed and we go to the farewell. Its all a blur as I stare at my mother on her bed of flowers. I recount pleasent memories of us when my turn arises to speak, my brain fuzzy.

I felt hollow.

The rest of the night passes in a blur, forcing myself to get through this night. By the time I can shake my haze, Im alone in the shower, getting ready for our flight home. Since our plane is going to be ao early, I don't feel like getting sleep. I hiss as the soap hits my back, flesh still raw from where my wings ripped free.

They would heal up soon enough, if I let my wings out often. I release them, growling at the stinging pain. I keep them pressed to my back as I clean myself. The water rains down on me as I shift my wings, inspecting the black feathers. They were shiny, gleaming different colors under the light like oil.

I try to flex them slightly and feels odd. Well, more accurately it feels natural but new. I turn off the water and join Cassie.

Shes staring at our suitcases with an odd expression, a frown on her lips. "Whats wrong?" I accidentally startle her. Cassie flushes as she glances over her shoulders at me before looking back at our things. "Im just thinking. Derek...Do I make you happy? Do you actually love me?"

I quickly pull on my underwear, positive this was a conversation had better dressed. "Of course I love you, you're my mate. If it wasnt for you, I wouldnt have made it through this weekend. Cassie, is something bothering you?" My heart was racing.

Did I miss something?

"No, I'm sorry. Just being stupid, get dressed. I'll uhm...grab some milk." Cassie rushes out.

Ive known her for years, she was hiding something. She hates milk. I wonder what could be wrong as I put my wings away, getting dressed quickly.  I cant stop myself from yawning as I take our things to the car.

My heart squeezes, I dont know what to do. Ive loar my mother, i have her things but thats not what I want. I wanted her to meet Cassie. I fall into a troubled nap in the passenger seat as I wait for my mate.