8. Training

I wake up from the most relaxing night I've had yet since the reaping. No memory of dreams, nightmares, just a clear mind while I was dosed off in an endless comfort. It's like sleep fell upon me for days. Laying their a few minutes, I enjoy the restfulness as much as I can before I'm forced to get ready for the long day to come. Already I miss the feel of the rich velvet sheets as I pad over to the closet; the lifeless hard midnight marble sending chills over my skin.

I find an outfit laid out that I will be shown in when my scores are shown on Television; tight black pants, a three quarter inch sleeve auburn shirt, and a pair of lace up mid-calf boots. Skipping a morning shower, I go to the dining room not bothering to wait until I am told. Instantly I stuff my plate full of eggs, biscuits, pancakes when the others arrive not to long after me. Gage, Afton, Maysilee, and I all have on different uniforms. Taking their seats Maysilee has her nose crinkled as she tugs at the skintight shirt.

"Damn! I was hoping we would all be in the same outfits. We might look like one big happy group, wouldn't that be nice?" Gage gives a fake smile while squinting his eyes in an attempt to look innocent. Afton doesn't note the sarcasm, but for once she isn't quite so quiet; her head is held a little higher, not being nervous around Gage. Seeing this change his fake smirk turns into a real authentic smile; at least it appears that way. "You know, you're really starting to grow on me." They both turn away from each other at the same time; He continues to eat while her face turns beet red.

"We need to discus training now that y'all have that out of your system. I find the answer rather obvious since none of you are great buddies, but would everyone like to be coached separately?" After blankly looking at one another in silence, Maysilee is the first to speak. "I know we just arrived last night, and it seems so early but...." She nervously chews on her bottom lip as if she is thinking of the nicest way to put it. "-I think it would be best for everyone if it were separate." When finishing the sentence for her, I give her a light smile.

However, I do not get it in return. I don't blame her though as she drops her head, covering the sadness that she is desperately trying not to show. I'm sure everyone has an idea of what she feels; no matter how much we want to get to know each other, be coached together, or be allies, it's not a good idea. Only one will be able to go home so it will be best if we all just don't try to get attached. Though how can we not want to if we have no one else to look for with comfortless?

"Okay, then we will speak of your skills later." Tate stops his hand just before his fork full of food goes into his mouth. He catches me staring at him then takes in everyone else's despairing mood. Even Gage has bothered stop eating to look at the back of Afton's turned away head with pity. "Look kids-" He begins with a deep exhale.

"-you shouldn't worry about not getting to no one another. Yes only one will have the chance to go home but what are the odds that you will be the one to hurt one another in the arena? I know I will sound like Fae for a moment but have a good time while you still can. Avoiding everyone before the games is one of the things I wish I wouldn't have done. You don't have to be allies in the games, but you will truly have no one if you don't learn more about your 'team'."

After breakfast its ten o'clock. Not having time be brush my teeth or any other necessities I meet Fae and the others at the elevator. My nervousness about meeting the other tributes makes the elevator ride seem shorter than last time-not that it's long in the first place. The elevator stops at the training rooms below the building that is an enormous gym. Obstacle courses and weapons are spread throughout the large room with at least dozens of feet apart. Even though we are a few minutes late we are only the second to last tributes to show up. All the other districts have on different outfits too. Everyone is in a gathered compact group getting a square cloth with their districts number on it pinned to their backs.