Author [@KyanaKnight]

Welcome everyone...

Today we have KyanaKnight. A big thank you to her for agreeing to do this interview.

Her books are amazing and if you're a Harry Potter fan, then you really need to read her book By Law.

Without Further Ado...

What inspired you to start writing?

It was a book about young thieves living in Venice, I have always enjoyed reading but that book just struck a chord with me for whatever reason. I remember going on my dad's laptop and writing a story just like it. That was ten years ago and I just never stopped writing.

Did you have any writers' block along the way? how did you get past them?

Oh so often! I published my first book last July and ever since then I have struggled to get back into things. Sometimes all it takes is to reread some nice comments here on Wattpad, but mostly it is just finding sources of inspiration. I have about 20 Pinterest boards just for different books I am writing, or I'll watch a new show or movie.

Do you see yourself in any characters and why?

I think I see myself at least a little bit in most of my characters, though I do enjoy writing someone who is nothing like me too.

How old are you?

19, I turn 20 next month

How old were you when you started writing?

The earliest story I wrote that I found was dated 2009, so that would make me nine.

Can you remember what you felt when you first started writing? what did you feel?

I remember feeling very frustrated at first. I was only nine years old so even then I realized that my vocabulary just wasn't there yet to accurately describe what I wanted to describe. I also vividly remember, a few years later, feeling very happy because of it. All my friends were good at dancing or singing or drawing and it just took me some time to find something I could be good at, which was writing.

How long does it take you to write a book on average?

Ohh that really depends. The book I published technically took me about three to four months to write, but that came after 5 years of daydreaming about the story and planning it out in my head. Also if you take into account editing and proofreading and beta readers, that added a whole year to it. I am usually a quick writer, just slow with everything else.

What's your outside life like?

I spend the last full year on publishing and keeping up with updates on Wattpad, which definitely isolated me a bit. Now that it is out I am looking forward to attending university

Where do you get your ideas from?

Books, games, series, movies, photography, random things my friends say. Really just anything can trigger an idea. I always try to write them down so sometimes I get ideas from reading my ideas

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Reading, I also like walking my dog and listening to music or editing youtube videos.

What does your family think about your writing?

I think for a very long time they were just glad I had something I loved doing. Then once I started talking about publishing they were very doubtful and told me not to, that it wasn't worth it. However, on the release day, they were the greatest and fully admitted to being wrong. I literally still get tears in my eyes when I think back on that time. My mom recently had a stroke and even with that and the fact she doesn't read English books ever she still read the entire thing. Also, extra props to my sister, because she has been supportive since day 1.

What do you think makes a good story?

Characters that aren't just good or just evil, but that they are human enough to have both in them. An interesting plotline with a lil side quest never hurt either

What's your favourite genre? and why?

I mostly love urban fantasy, but I have every genre on my bookshelf.

What's the hardest thing to write for you and why?

Anything to do with mental illness, it is truly the only thing I cannot write. I am doing much better now, but writing about it only takes me back to it. I know it can be very healing, but I prefer my books to take people away from all of that sadness and frustration.

Do you work on an outline or do you just write with the flow?

I am a semi planner, I know where the story is going but I only 'plan' ahead in the whole beginning-middle-end thing. So once I finish writing the beginning of the story is when I start outlining the middle. Basically I am just making my life harder than it needs to be

And lastly, Do you have any advice for new writers

JUST WRITE. The internet is filled with so much advice but in the end, the only thing that will make your books better is to practise

...

Thank you for reading and don't forget to drop a vote and comment.

Also dont be shy to share.