Chapter 32 - Dark

Start from the beginning

The doors slid smoothly closed and happy, upbeat music played, trying to hide the sense of ongoing doom that was slowly settling on all of them.

"Who's in charge of the music here?" Theron joked, trying to lighten the heavy mood.

"This is no time for jokes, Commander," Jason said sternly, though he could see his mouth twitch upwards. "War is quickly approaching us."

"That doesn't sound like much fun," Theron nudged Estelle, who was standing right next to him as he laughed at his own joke. "Get it? Sound? Music?"

She sighed but made no other sound of acknowledgment.

"I don't want to hear any of that negativity!" Theron blurted.

More groans. 

At last, the elevator doors shuddered open and everyone practically bolted out of the lift.

"Make sure you tune in next time for some more amazing puns," the Commander announced, walking calmly into the suite.

He had to dodge a pillow for that one.

The room, too, was a duplicate of the Casino's. Three bedrooms. A candy and soda bar. A balcony with a hot tub and a skeet-shooting machine. Waterbeds with the fluffiest pillows you could imagine. A big-screen television.

He took a seat at the bar, helping himself to Blue Rasberry Salt Water Taffy. He happily munched on the sweet as Estelle joined him, also taking a handful of the Taffy.

"Hey!" Theron whined through a mouthful of the sticky sweet. "Those are mine!"

"Not anymore," Estelle ripped one open, shoving it in her mouth.

Theron scoffed.

"Annabeth called for a meeting," a new voice interrupted the two's banter. Hazel stood, looking at the two with amused eyes.

"Thanks, Haze," the Daughter of Poseidon greeted. "We'll be right over."

She then pulled him to where the group of demigods was gathered (not before he could grab a few Taffies, though). They were gathered in the living area, a large modern-looking couch and some armchairs. Annabeth stood, studying the group with her stormy-grey eyes. His face lit up with heat when her calculating gaze fell on him.

"We need a watch system," Annabeth told the group. "I want at least three people on watch at all times, switching every two hours."

"I can start as a guard," one of Annabeth's siblings - Malcolm - said. "I don't think I'd be able to get any sleep anyway." he grinned sheepishly.

Annabeth smiled sadly at her brother. "Any other volunteers?"

Nico raised his hand. 

"Great, we need one more person." Annabeth looked around the room. Her eyes fell on Theron who was shoving Salt Water Taffy into his mouth like his life depended on it. 

"Theron!" she loudly and suddenly exclaimed.

Theron started choking on his candies while Estelle quickly reached over and patted him on the back a few times.