Chapter Forty ↡ Picking Homes

"Your Majesty, I present to you, Miss Lucia Bautista Allen." The butler announced as Lucia entered the room.

"Thank you." Elizabeth said smiling.

"Your Majesty, always nice to see you." Lucia said to the queen as she curtsied and then she wrapped her into a friendly hug.

"Lucia, my dear. It has been too long." Elizabeth said in response.

"Has it really been too long?" Lucia asked.

"No, but it's been too long for my likely especially since you are due to become my granddaughter in several months." Elizabeth answered.

"Well then, I'll be sure to stop by more often." Lucia said.

"Very well, the reason why I called you over today is to discuss your wedding gift. Now, I wanted Antony here to discuss this but due to several engagements that he has to attend today, he said you could handle it and that he trusts you with the decision making." Elizabeth said.

"Yes, I understand. What kind of wedding gift, are we talking about?" Lucia asked.

"Like I've always done when my sons and grandsons married. I've gifted them with multiple homes. Now I want to do the same for Antony and you." Elizabeth answered.

"Wow, Thank you. Antony and I are honoured to receive such gifts from you." Lucia said.

"You're welcome. Now, I know Antony said that Apartment 1 at Kensington will remain your home base and in North Carolina, your residence will also be a home base. I want to give you two a country, summer, and holiday home. If that's okay with you? I have a list of residences that you can choose from and start renovation on." Elizabeth said.

"Yes, that sounds wonderful to me." Lucia said.

"Now some of these residences may not be in good shape or have been demolished but we can always rebuild them. Or we can just buy a new residence if you do not like any of those on the list." Elizabeth said as she hands Lucia a list with pictures and minor details of the residences.

"The Barnwell Manor is a beautiful country estate." Lucia said to Elizabeth, who looked over at her private secretary to take notes.

"It's currently owned by the Duke of Gloucester but we can talk to him and see what we can do if you really like it." Elizabeth said.

"Northamptonshire is one hour or so away from London, correct?" Lucia asked.

"Yes, I believe so." Elizabeth answered.

"Then Antony and I would like to have it as a country home for when the kids are on break from school." Lucia said.

"I will have a talk with the Duke of Gloucester about it then." Elizabeth said.

"Thank you." Lucia said as she continues to look at the list.

"The Cumberland Lodge is another great country home that I would like to have.

There was a knock on the door then the butler entered.

"Your Majesty, your grandson, His Royal Highness Prince Antony of Wales has arrived." The butler said as Antony entered the room.

"Looks like you finished a bit early there, Antony." Elizabeth said as she stand to greet him.

Antony bowed his head then gave his grandmother a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Yes, I did, I couldn't let you two have all the fun picking homes." Antony said as he took a seat next to Lucia and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"So, are you going to tell me what homes you chose so far with Granny?" Antony asked.

"I have only chose the Barnwell Manor and the Cumberland Lodge so far." I answered.

"What about the York Cottage in the grounds of Sandringham House?" Elizabeth asked.

"The York Cottage?" Antony replied.

"Since you two have children this would give you both better privacy during the holidays." Elizabeth answered.

"That would be great. We would still be close enough to everyone else but have privacy for us." Antony said to Lucia.

"Then we'll take it." Lucia said.

"We'll looks like we have chosen three homes for you both. These three you have chosen will be my wedding gifts to you both." Elizabeth said.

"Thank you, Granny, we appreciate everything you have done for us and your support." Antony said.

"Yes, now cost of renovations for all three places will be costly. I hope you both are prepared for what backlash you'll receive." Elizabeth said.

"We can split the cost." Lucia said.

"Very well." Elizabeth said.