Chapter Thirteen ↡ Labor of Love

It had been twelve hours since Lucia woke up and the doctors had failed at stopping Lucia from going into labor which makes it 25 hours of Lucia being in labor.

"Are you sure you don't want to opt for a caesarean?" Antony asks with a slightly hopeful lilt to his voice.

"I'm positive; I don't want a caesarean." Lucia said.

We're chatting to each other softly when someone knocks at the door.

"Come in." Antony says.

Catherine walks in with a basket in her hand.

"I just wanted to check on you darling, how're you feeling?" She asks, leaning down to kiss her forehead, giving her bump a quick rub the places the basket on the table.

"I feel fine-all I have is a nagging pain in my lower back in between the mild contractions." Lucia answered.

"Lucia, you're so strong. We're all proud of you darling. Tanisha is doing well. She's currently sleeping. Meghan and I packed some things for you both in the basket. She said as she kisses her forehead and cups her cheek with a tender smile.

"Remember if either of you need anything just call me or William or Harry and Meghan." She said.

"Thank you, Catherine." Lucia and Antony said.

"You're welcome." She said, before leaving the room.

We talk for a little while, Antony traces patterns on Lucia's belly. Just as Lucia is falling asleep when another ripple passes across her back, she groans, trying to breathe through the pain.

The doctor walks in and check Lucia's chart.

"Just breathe baby, I've got you, its ok!" Antony day as he rubs her back.

"How are you doing Lucia?" The doctor asks.

"Oh, I'm really looking forward to the labor being over!" Lucia answered as she motions to her massive belly.

"Well I'm happy to tell you it's time to start pushing." The doctor says.

"Can I push?" Lucia asked.

"You can push all you like, Just take it easy and go slow." The doctor answered.

After an thirty minutes of Lucia pushing there was no progress.

"I'm not liking the way your progressing. I don't want you to continue pushing so I think it's best we perform a cesarean. It's for her health as well as the baby's." The doctor said.

Antony smiled at Lucia and when he saw her face, he could tell that she was upset. After the doctor left, he asked, "Are you okay?"

She nodded and then whispered, "I really wanted to push..."

"It's better for the baby and you if you don't push." Antony said.

"I know." She said.

The nurses were grabbing the monitors and making sure everything was still hooked up. They started rolling her out of the room.

Antony was led into a locker room and quickly changed into the scrubs.

"Here you go. You have to put the mask and hat on before you go into the sterile environment." A nurse told Antony.

Antony quickly put the hat and mask on and told the nurse he was ready to go. Following behind her, Antony watched as she swiped her badge to open the double doors and walked into the bright hallway.

"Okay, Your Royal Highness, you will be at the head of the bed with Lucia. Be careful not to touch anything. You ready?" The nurse asked.

"Yes." Antony answered.

Walking through the door, Antony noticed the nurses moving all around the room.

He paid attention not to touch anything and reached the top of the bed where Lucia was lying with her eyes closed.

Lucia opened her eyes and saw Antony standing over her.

"Hey sweetheart, are you ready?" Antony asked.

"Yes." Lucia answered.