Highway 2000 (Part 2)

Disclaimer: Hey! I'm back. and Happy All Saint's Day. I'm in the Philippines and I just had my breakfast. My boyfriend read my story. I have the best and supportive boyfriend in the Philippines (Ya'll don't know about your hubby, but, mine is legit sexy as he is also a sweet, sweet man.) Anyway, so part two of the Highway 2000 story, it's cloudy and I was in the comfort room earlier, my towel moved by itself, not just a minor swing but a full movement. I'm the only one in the room, and there are no open windows in my hotel room. Dammit! Hahahaha it's starting. The haunt has started. Let's go!

   Con-ve-ni-ent.

   Okay, full disclosure, my car is about 5 years old already and my baby's gotten into multiple accidents (I'm not a reckless driver. I've never driven mad before or did anything stupid BUT other people drive crazy in this place so...), so it had moments of going in and out of the repair shop.

   Now, a little piece of advice for new drivers who are reading this:

   When your engine breaks down in a dark and spooky area and you are alone, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE. Make sure that your doors are closed, windows up and look around the area. It's best if you have an emergency light or a high beam flashlight with you in the car. As much as you're afraid of the dark and ghosts, one should be more afraid of the living. No matter what happens, check your surroundings first, grab your flashlight or anything you can bring with you outside that you could use to protect yourself before leaving the driver's seat. Don't go outside for no reason. Try your engine again. If it really doesn't work, then that's when you call someone or if you have knowledge about fixing engines and cars, then go forth and try fixing your engine.

   I kept my cool. I took out my keys and put them back again to restart my engine. Checked my breaks and twisted the key. There was a faint noise from the engine. Oh! Good, so it's not the battery. A dead battery is game over. You know, it actually helps if you have a contact number for car battery deliveries so when your car battery depletes big time, you can have one delivered to you wherever you are. That or wait for a jeepney or any cars and ask for help. In my case, obviously, I'm alone and no help is coming. I tried my phone earlier, of course, no signal. 

   Well shit.

   At least, I know my battery's good. So, I kept at it. I tried over and over. Twisting the keys, stepping on my clutch. Over and over and over for the enth time. 

   Vrrrrrrrrrrrroooommmmmmm

   Oh! Thank God! Sweet Jesus of mercy! He livessssss!!! I thought to myself. I took a huge breath and exhaled through my mouth. Finally, I can get out of here! Netflix, here I come! So I continued driving. Phew! That was a close call. I drove in silence, I didn't want to open the player anymore, I just wanted to go home. I looked at my hand and noticed that I'm shaking. Why am I shaking? Probably the thought of getting stuck out there alone in the middle of the night was too much for me to handle. I looked at my arm and my hair are all stading up. I still have the chills. 

   Chonk. Chonk. Chonk. 

   "No!!!," I exclaimed at my 5-year old car. How dare it die on me again?! I stepped on my clutch and tried the keys to open the engine again. "Come on! Not again!" Now, I was furiously trying to restart my engines. Imagine a dim road, just one car with lights going on and off as the engine purrs in the middle of the night. I'm not looking up, I'm afraid to look up. I remembered all those stories my friends and family drilled on me. My hands is shaking, I have shivers. This is a nightmare. I want to go home.

   I try it one more time. Clutch, key turn, engine purrs and the lights beam up to a figure standing ominously in front of the car just few paces away and vanishes as as the lights and my engine dies down. There are three thoughts in my situation: One, It could be somebody who heard the noise and sought the lights going on and off and see if someone needed help. Two,  this person could be serial killer on the haunt for his next victim. Three, a ghost from one of my family's crazy stories and urban legends about this highway. My thoughts are stuck in two.

   I thought maybe this scenario I'm in is really getting in my head. Plus there's the fact that I'm tired and now officially hungry (Should've bought Pizza Kariman from Mini Stop before leaving the building). Logic would suggest that I am now seeing things because of those factors. Like I said, I'm a skeptic.

   I tried it again, this time for sure, I had my baseball bat near me (Yes, I have a baseball bat in the car because my dad said it's better to be safe than sorry. Do heed to your father's advice when it comes to cars and other toys. They know better.) so I could whack someone with it if I ever see them near me or my car. Clutch, key turn, engine purr, light beam. 

   Fuck. It's a woman.