"But mom." she complained, "why can't I come to see you? You said last time I could and I know Liam's out there, but honestly? Who cares—no, what do you mean? For the last time, that was Jaxon. I didn't do anything so stop pinning the blame on me. Don't you dare hang up on me!" to be honest, I feel really awkward right now because I don't know what to do with myself.

I could feel Coco's irritation practically radiating off of her as she groaned. I think she muttered something that sounded distinctly like 'for fuck's sake' as she came towards me, getting a glass out of the cupboard and heading to the fridge to get some juice. Sometimes, it's nice to not be on the receiving end of Kiara's wrath. She's a scary woman and I'll admit that to myself and not in her presence.

"So I assume you're not going to the health base then," I told her as she nodded. The health base was set up in the warehouse behind the main hall where many injured gang members went and was only ever around when there was a gang war happening, which hasn't happened for a while until now. This was Owen's second time seeing the health base set up, the first was after the gang raid that killed his parents. He rarely stepped foot in there because of the memories that came with going in there, but he would always see some of the health base poking out depending on where in the house he was.

Suddenly, Jimmy, one of the gang members walked into the room, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. His eyes met our's as he smiled, regaining his composure. Jimmy was the definition of 'his wife probably wears the trousers in the marriage' because he was just more reserved than her. She did everything for him and people sometimes wondered if he was just her 'guard dog' or something like that.

"Hey, Jimmy. I heard my dad offered you beer on the job. Tch, tch, tch, disappointing. You better not have accepted it otherwise, what would Owen say?" Jimmy was taller than Owen, which is a surprise, but when he was mentioned, there was a small flash of fear in his eyes. He gulped before scoffing.

"Boss doesn't scare me," he spoke, chuckling nervously, "but I definitely didn't accept. Got to stay sober on the job, you know? Don't really want to screw things up."

"Well, at least you're responsible," I spoke up as he nodded, "how's Carla? Is she doing well?"

"Oh yeah, great. I'm working so often, I don't have to deal with the sleepless nights and the screaming of a baby," he told us as Coco gasped, glaring at him immediately. She pointed at her, her gaze hardening on him.

"Excuse me, but your wife pushed that baby out of her so you should be damn grateful. Plus, she asked about Carla not your selfish ass," she snapped at him as I snickered behind my hand in response. Babies are a nuisance and I mean, I was one once and I knew how annoying I was, but Carla's endured labour so it was now Jimmy's turn to endure something to do with the baby, "just forget it. After all, Carla will probably one day lock you in a room with that child until you guys bond. She's crazy like that. Anyway, what was I going to say?"

"Something about the health base?" I asked as she nodded.

"Oh yeah, it's probs for the best that I don't go. She doesn't want me to catch anything," she spoke, her voice still giving a hint of annoyance to it. Even if she wants to disobey her mother's orders, she knows it's best not to. She respected her mother and knew that if her mom insisted, she was meant to follow, "anyway, how are you coping? It must be tough."

"Yeah, but I know it's better to work and find information rather than just sit around worrying my ass off. How's Michael? I heard he left this morning to help at the health base—you know what? I think he might be a doctor when he's older. I can almost feel it." I giggled lightly as Coco joined soon after me before shaking her head.