Chapter 27.

CHAPTER 27: the aftermath of a dispute

vote and comment

He had shouted. I had shouted. He had said things I know he would never say to anyone else and I said things that I definitely regret.

The truth is, I couldn't bear it. I couldn't bear the thought of not having my dad around. My past consumed me until I couldn't think of anything else except of how good my life was before when he was around.

The atmosphere in school was awkward and tense. As I walked in with my friends, Owen and his friends were already there. Coco seemed hesitant as to whether she could come up to me or not. I understood why she was though. There was her best friend on one side and her family on the other and as much as I hate to admit it, picking her family was what I would've done.

There were other students around, completely oblivious to what was going on, but I felt the tension that hung in the air like a strong smell or thick smoke. My eyes had drifted up to the windows to distract myself and found that the clouds were slightly covering the sun. It wasn't that bad outside today, a lot cooler sure, but the weather was alright. The spare rays of sun that peaked through the clouds shone through the windows in school, which made a soft golden glow illuminate the cold marble floors.

"Hey, you..." Coco started, poking me in the arm, "sorry, I'm being awkward. Owen told us what happened. Just thought you should know that I'm on nobody's side here."

Of course, she knows. Owen told his brother and then he told everyone else. He may have not meant to, but he might've done it unintentionally. I can tell Jaxon feels bad as well with the distance between him and his older brother. Turning to look at Coco, I whispered to her quietly. My eyebrows furrowed together in concern as I leaned in a bit.

"How is he coping?" I asked and she only sighed before leaning her head back and closed her eyes as if she were deep in thought, "please tell me he's doing okay because he sure doesn't look like it."

"He's torn about it, Brie. What you said really affected him. I'm not saying it's all your fault, but he broke a bunch of glass ornaments because of what happened." okay, now I feel even worse. The guilt inside me increased by the second and when we entered the classroom, it doubled quickly when Owen started getting snappy at the teacher for not wanting to sit next to me. He tried everything and even begged him to let him sit somewhere else.

People didn't seem to care because they all knew he hated me, but that wasn't why he was complaining. I knew that wasn't why he was complaining.

As I sat there, I could just hear what he was saying to the teacher. The more I listened, the more my chest knotted up tighter until I was struggling to breathe slightly, taking in bigger breaths.

"Sir, I refuse to sit next to her." he spat it out like he's forced to say it. There was slight venom in his voice when he said that. I mean, he's hated me before, but it was never as bad as this and I've always coped with it fine so why now is it affecting me so much?

"Owen Bowers, it's been over ten lessons and only now you're complaining about her? I won't hear it. You'll sit next to her and do as your told!" our teacher shouted. Oh for the love of god.

Did Owen end up sitting next to me in that lesson?

No, he left the class without another word and never returned.