Chapter 2

Chapter 2

My billowing skirts swooped around me, tight at the bodice and full from waist down.  It was traditional for women to wear long dresses.  Even young girls.

I shoved on some work boots, hiding them beneath the full-length hem, and didn't bother to tie my hair up.  A lingering feeling of mild terror closed in on me.  The Day of the Feast was almost upon us, and the Hunters were yet to choose their victims.  I simply had to see James. 

James was only two-and-a-half years older than me.  He specialized in physical and mental science.  Yes, he was also the town's Scholar.  James began work at the academy, teaching the young reading, writing, and the laws of physics.

James was seventeen.

I had not gotten even close to being successful in my years of womanhood.  Not by a long shot.  In the town, children reach "Of-Age" at precisely the hour they turned fourteen.  The ceremony was absolutely nothing special.  Children were given medals and certificates for their own, personal acheivements in school.  Then they were assigned a mentor, working as an apprentice for various jobs.

I had gotten James about a year ago.

The brief run to James's house was agonizing.  I couldn't see signs of life anywhere. 

No fire in the chimney.  No previously shoveled snow.

The curtains were drawn, tight.

Expecting the worse for my poor mentor, and friend, I didn't even bother to knock on the door.  I burst through, letting the door slam against the far wall.  Then I saw him.

He had been sleeping, but was jarred awake by my hasty break-and-entering.  Crap.

"Maegan?"  he croaked.  "What the--?"

I smiled, nervously.  "Hey, James..."

James sat up, running his fingers through his shaggy blond hair.  I had always wondered if he was going to grow it out and pull it into a tight ponytail, like all of the important men wore there's, but he'd always preferred wearing it short and scruffy.  Like a boy's.

It suited him well.

James, sitting up, twisted himself off the side of the bed, legs dangling over the edge.  I tried not to stare at his left limb and forced my gaze to his handsome face.

James had been crippled almost all of his life.  He was lame in his left leg, unable to ever use it again.  I was never big on gossip, and didn't have the guts to ask him about it.  So I didn't know why he was the way he was, or what happened.

All I can say is that his left leg was skin and bone.  It contrasted, sickeningly, with the other, more muscular right leg.  But it never really bothered me.

James gave me a crooked, half-smile.  "May I ask you why your'e in my house?"

It took me a second to find my voice.  "Ummm...well..."  I began.  "I wanted to talk to you."

"Well I can see that,"  he grinned, patting the mattress beside him.  "What about?"

I clomped my worn work boots over to wear he sat, suddenly aware of how ruffled I must look.  It surprised me how embarrassed I was over my appearance.  Smoothing down my uncombed hair, I sat next to him.

"James...do you remember our conversation last evening?"  I began.  He looked at me, eyebrows knitted together.  Confused.

"Maegan, don't worry about me,"  he told me, not speaking above a whisper.  "It was only us two in the building, anyways.."

I glared at him.  "You know how closely watched this place is the week before the Games!  Especially in a schoolhouse!"  I shook my head in disbelief.

James laughed at my nerve, wrapping an arm carelessly over my shoulder. 

"You need to stop worrying, Mae."

I shoved off his arm, standing up.  "If you aren't going to hold your tongue, then you are as good as dead.  I don't want to lose you twice."

Then I left him.

I was tending to the sheep when the first two victims were chosen.  One was a large, burley man.  He looked like a true barbarian, hairy and musculed.  It made the hairs on my neck crawl.

The other was a child.  No older than thirteen.  I knew her.