Bird Cage (Miles Edgeworth x Reader)

Army AU!

Requested by JustCallMehLucy

Your Pov:

I sat in the damp, dark cell. The only sound being the water dripping from the ceiling and the screams of other prisoners. I hadn't seen the sun in months. My family was killed and I was brought to this prison. I jumped when the cell door opened. One of the guards stepped in. He yanked me up by my arm, tugging me out. I didn't struggle. I just followed silently. I was led to a familiar room. Blood splotches covered the walls and shackles were implanted on the wall in the back. The guard chained me up, facing me towards the wall.

I knew what was coming. I started to shake, trying not to tense up. I heard it dragging on the floor. Then there was a resounding crack as the whip made contact with my back. I yelped in pain. This continued for what felt like hours. They unchained me and I collapsed to the ground. They dragged me back to the cell and threw me in. I sat away from the wall, my back in too much pain to put pressure on it.

Then, I heard some guards talking, "Where do we put him? The cells are full." Another voice spoke, "Put him in that one you idiots!" Footsteps approached the cell. Two guards came into view, gripping a man by his forearms. They opened the door and threw him in, locking the door back. The man hit the ground with a thud. I watched him as he sat up. He was in an army uniform. His hair was a silvery grey and his facial features were well defined. He looked at me.

Miles' Pov:

His team had been led into a trap. He was the only one who made it out alive, only to be taken prisoner. He sat up in the cell, locking eyes with a girl a few feet away. She was covered in various places with dirt and the dress she wore was in tatters with what looked like bloodstains here and there. She was also incredibly thin, as if she hadn't eaten in a very long time. Her (h/c) hair was dirty and knotted.

Her eyes were the only things that had not been dirtied. They shined a bright (e/c) in the dim cell. He spoke to her, "Miss, are you alright?" She stared at him for a while before finally speaking, "I-I think so..." He stood up, brushing the dirt off of himself, "How long have you been held here?" She looked towards the ground, "I've been here for months."

He nodded, "What's your name?" She leaned back against the wall, wincing as she spoke, "(Y-Y/n)." He rose an eyebrow, "My name is Miles. Miles Edgeworth. Is something wrong with your back?" She gripped the shoulder of her dress, "I-It hurts but I'll manage." He stepped towards her, placing a hand on her shoulder, "May I?" She hesitantly nodded. He turned her around and unbuttoned the back of the dress which was covered in dried blood. He pushed the sides of the dress away and his eyes widened.

Fresh whip marks and numerous scars lined her back. The fresh marks were bleeding and raw. They would surely scar without proper care. He reached into his chest pocket and produced a handkerchief and a square pouch of antibiotic ointment. He spoke, "This may sting for a moment. I'm just cleaning your back." He put the ointment on the handkerchief and slowly applied it to her back. She winced a bit, but didnt move. After he finished, he left the back of the dress open to let the marks breathe and heal.

Back to Your Pov:

The ointment cooled the burning from my back. The pain was still there, but it wasn't as bad as before. I turned to face Miles, "Thank you." He nodded, "Your welcome." After that, we sat together in silence. In the cell across from us, I could see pregnant women, young children, and men. Each of them covered in whip marks. I looked down at my arms. Faint white lines decorated the skin. The ones from the elbow down were self made.

After the first few months here, I found a glass shard on the ground. I had decided that there was no point and started the destruction. Each day I would make a few cuts before stopping. Eventually, the guards found the glass shard and confiscated it. Now, I was left with nothing but scars.

Time Skip 3 Months Later~

It's been three months since Miles arrived. We've grown closer. He would take care of me after my whippings and sometimes, even take the whippings for me. More and more prisoners were being executed. The guards spoke of an army advancing and how they needed to leave the prison. That meant that no prisoners would leave here alive.

The cell door opened and Miles was thrown in. His back was raw and bloody. I knelt down, ripping another piece of my dress and gently cleaning his back. Once I finished, the cloth was covered in blood. Miles sat next to me, holding me tightly. Suddenly, there was yelling and thundering footsteps from above. The guards in front of the cell rushed away, yelling orders to the others. Miles held me tighter, but no words were spoken.

After what felt like eternity, there was silence. Dead silence. Then, footsteps rushed down the corridor. Someone stopped in front of our cell. They stepped into the light. It was a man in an army uniform identical to Miles'. His dark hair was spiked back. He spoke, "Edgeworth! You're alive!" Miles looked at him, "Wright? It's you. Get us out of here." The man fiddled around with the door before it opened. Miles helped me stand and led me out of the cell. The man spoke to Miles, "Who is she?"

Miles nodded, "This is (Y/n). (Y/n), this is Phoenix Wright. A friend of mine and member of my group." I nodded, "T-Thank you so much." After that, he led us above ground. I squinted my eyes as the sunlight filled my vision. I took a deep breath, fresh air filling my lungs. I was finally free.

Miles and I were taken to a military base where we were treated for our injuries. A few weeks later, our wounds had healed along with our mentalities. I later confessed my love to Miles, who in turn, reciprocated my feelings. Miles was discharged and I went home with him.

From there, we lived out our happily ever after.