Chapter 35

I thought the relief that crossed Holly's face when she saw that I was driving back to the palace was stark. But it didn't compare at all to the way Ajax looked when we entered the palace again. His pacing across the marble floor immediately ceased and the hands that had been clasped behind his back dropped to his sides. His chest puffed and released with a sigh. Then, the relief was replaced with sharpness and a twinge of anger like we were naughty children.

"You're late," he bit out.

I stiffened at his words and was prepared to bite back, no one talked to me like that, but Holly was faster. "I'm going to assume that we worried you and I apologize for that. You should know that I only want what's best for Keiko and my kingdom. I would've never let her slip away," she lied with a smoothness that surprised me.

Ajax seemed a bit taken aback, obviously not used to being spoken to in such a way and that gave me a pinch of satisfaction. But then his shoulders slumped and he nodded his head. When he spoke to Holly his voice was calm. "You're right. I'm sorry, I got a little frantic. How about I show you to your room and you can settle in for the night. Today must've been a hard and long day for you."

With that Holly and Ajax left and I dawdled upstairs with all my bags. I put away my dresses first, staring at the wonderful- and pricey gowns- as I went. I unloaded the new cosmetics and hair products to go with them. It seemed incredible that I was part of this world, that I was able to stay in such a glamorous room and that someone had been so willing to throw so much money at me to make me and my friend comfortable. I slept on silk sheets and woke up to amazing breakfast every morning. This was the peak of luxury.

But then I began working through my emergency stash. A warm jacket with lots of pockets for cold nights. A duffle bag that would be much easier to carry than a tied up pillow case. A small comb. And a handful of change and bills. A cellphone for emergency calls. And looking at all these things that would help me make a quick getaway I wondered if I had made the right choices. My heart had led me back here. But maybe I was just digging myself a deeper grave. Maybe I was just another victim of Stockholm syndrome.

At the very least I had the tools if I ever decided to flee. I shut the closet door, closing those items away, out of sight.

And, as I turned around there was a soft knock on the door.

"Come in," I said, expecting Adeline or Holly.

But Ajax appeared in the doorway.

"Since when do you knock in your own palace?" I asked, my voice coming out a little sharper, a little hotter than I would've liked. I hated the way he made me feel so torn and I was more than willing to take it out on him.

"I just wanted to talk to you," he murmured, his voice low and smooth. "When I was helping Holly get organized I started to realize that we kind of got off on the wrong foot and I had been coming at this from a sideways angle for you. What makes sense for me won't make any sense for you," he explained.

"Right, because you're a warlock or whatever," I said with a roll of my eyes.

He gave me a little smile at that.

"Come here," he suggested, nodding his head towards my bed.

I sat down beside him willingly. I was wondering what Holly had said to him that had caused this change of heart, but I didn't dare ask. Holly had her own tricks and I didn't want to know how she had strong armed Ajax into this.

"I want to try something a little different with you. It's very untraditional for my background, but it will probably help you adjust to what we are."

"And what are we, Ajax?" I demanded. The question came out harsh, but I was truly curious. He hadn't kissed me, but he had brought me to an orgasm. We didn't hold hands, but he was incredibly possessive of me.

"I suppose the equivalent would be dating. I haven't marked you, binding you to me. And we haven't fully mated yet."

"You're talking like we are god damn animals. People don't mate, Ajax. And you're referring to all of this like I don't have a choice," I protested.

"You're right, I'm sorry. It's just really weird for me to have to explain it all like this," he agreed, "I want you to feel like you have a choice, because you do. I know that I didn't really give you one at the beginning and I'm sorry for that. It was wrong of me and it must've scared you even more than you already were. So, if you want to get in the car and you want to drive yourself all over Europe, you do it. I'll be upset but I won't stop you."

I pondered his words. He was letting me go in a sense. He was undoing all of the chains he had placed on me previously. So why didn't I feel like I should grab those emergency belongings and run to the nearest car? I just sat there, oddly touched by this gesture.

"So what is your plan to undo all this wreckage?" I challenged.

"A date. A real, proper date," he replied, seeming proud of himself.

"Really, and what is this date going to consist of?"

At that he faltered, his face falling ever so slightly.

"Well, what do you like?" he asked.

I snorted at that. "Are you serious? You are willing to talk dirty to me through a door, but you don't even know what I like?"

"And what do you know about me?" he shot back.

I stayed silent for a moment. What did I know about Ajax? I knew he was hot headed and quite possessive. I knew that he had a horse named Zelda. And, apparently, his parents had a wonderful love story or were just the most amazing people in the world. But what did I know about Ajax himself? Not a whole lot.

"Fine, I like scrapbooking."

"Scrapbooking? Like putting pictures in a photo album with some strikers?"

"Yes," I replied, ticking my chin up. I'll admit that it wasn't the most common hobby for a young college student, but it was still something I enjoyed very much. It was something that my mother and I used to do together. It would forever have a special place in my heart. And I wanted to throw Ajax off his game a little.

"Alright, well I have some meetings and training tomorrow. So how about you spend the day with Holly, do whatever you two want, and the next day we are going on our date."

"Sure," I said with a nonchalant shrug, but I felt giddy at the prospect of going on a date with Ajax.

"Perfect, wear something comfortable that you can be in all day. I don't plan on wasting a minute."

***Update 2 of 3!***