Chapter 24

We rode in silence for a long time. I had never ridden a horse and was clutching the saddle and fighting each step the horse took. Zelda didn't seem terribly bothered by this. She just followed behind the other horse, Poison. It was strange to be so high up and even more peculiar to be moving but not to be in control of it. I probably looked like a those who watched me with raised eyebrows when we passed.

Meanwhile Queen Adeline was melting into her horse. She sat on his bare back with nothing to control him with. Her expensive pantsuit had been swapped out for stretchy pants similar to mine and she appeared to be incredibly natural. This was clearly her element.

I decided that if she could do this with nothing keeping her attached to her horse I could do it with this saddle and bridle.

Once I became more comfortable I was able to reestablish my purpose. I had taken this opportunity to find information, not to learn how to ride a horse. And all I had figured out so far was that there was several trails and so far we had encountered someone on each of them. And each time we came across someone they stared at me like I didn't sit quite right with them, like something about me was off. I paid them no mind, only searching for a fence line, another gate, or a house in the distance. I found nothing, but refused to give up so easily.

And after about half an hour Adeline finally spoke up, "It's so quiet out here."

I said nothing, just nodded my head. My eyes continued to scan the world around me. Even with fall setting in the world was green and lush.

"When I assumed the title I downsized. All of the other available palaces were much too large for a family of three, even if we have an outrageous amount of guests. I was very excited when I found this little manor. It's miles away from any other house and the forest is so dense it's almost impossible to find the road so there is no traffic noise."

Her voice was light and gentle, like she was having a normal conversation with me. But her words validated two things. She was the ruler of something, even if it wasn't all of Germany, and she had noticed that I was looking for a way out. She might've been smoother about it but she was just as keen on keeping me here as her son was. That made me sick but I couldn't give up just yet.

"Ajax said you were trying to expand your business to America," I said carefully.

"Think of what we do as less of a business and more of a management operation."

"So you are a queen, then," I grilled.

"Of course, do you think I wear blouses and dresses for fun? When you get a chance ask my husband about how much I hated being royalty when I was a teenager. It was always a horrendous battle between me and my parents' advisor. That's why we have Ivan teaching Ajax; we wanted someone less involved and to let him come to his position on his own. I didn't have a great advisor so we did the best we could to find a suitable match for Ajax." Adeline seemed to catch herself and notice how much information she was feeding me, "Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself."

"So, Ajax will be king one day," I urged.

"Yes, he will be."

"And what does that mean for me?" I asked, hoping that this would somehow lead me to figuring out why I was even here.

Adeline just gave me a tight smile, sensing my prodding ways. "I'd love to answer all your questions but I think that you and Ajax need to have a talk about this instead."

"Ajax isn't much of a talker," I argued, "He's very demanding and incredibly entitled."

"Like mother like son," Adeline said with a beautiful laugh. And before I could respond she changed the subject, "Here's the pond, isn't it gorgeous?"

And it was beautiful. The trail looped around a small, glittering pond that was covered in floating plants. It was small and picturesque, something you saw in a magazine. But with the tall tress overhead and a sharp eyed queen nearby I felt incredibly claustrophobic. These grounds went on forever, and with staff milling all over them I would never be able to get out of here unnoticed. It seemed that my plan had backfired on me by only making me feel worse.

"I'm sorry the ride is so short, but my horse is rather old and with his arthritis I like to keep him active in a minimal level."

"He doesn't look that old," I mused, without thinking. And though I didn't know much about horses it was true. It was so easy to see how the horse's eyes sparkled with intelligence and he moved with grace and smoothness that didn't fit being old and stiff.

"He won't age like most horses because he's the type of creature that refuses to get old. This boy has always been too smart for his own good. I can only hope to be like him in my old age, but I'm sure I'll be a cynical cow when Ajax gives up on me and throws me in a home." Adeline's voice was affectionate as she patted the horse's thick neck.

After that the conversation died. We walked back to the palace in silence. When we returned Ted was waiting for us and he helped me get off Zelda's back. I patted the large horse and thanked her for taking care of me before heading back into the house. I thought Adeline would impose a meal on me as well, maybe she would corner me with Ajax by her side. But she just led me back up to my room and told me food was waiting for me inside. I thanked her, though I didn't really feel like I should've.

I slipped into the room, ready to be caged in like an animal but excited for my solitude. I had a fair amount to think about and needed peace and quiet to organize my rapid thoughts.

But the door was never locked behind me.

***Next update at 22 votes!***