Chapter 17

My eyes parted and I let out a low groan as I rolled onto my stomach. I felt ill. So ill. But the smooth and cool pillow beneath my head eased my discomfort ever so slightly. It made me feel a little less nausea in my gut. My hands curled around the sheets that were wrapped around me. They had the same smooth and soft texture. It was wonderful, exactly like what I imagined floating on a cloud would be. A sigh dribbled out of my mouth and my blurry eyes fluttered shut again. Just five more minutes.

But, though I was tired and sickly, my body knew something wasn't right. And at that realization I noticed that my sheets were not this smooth to lay on. This had to be silk and I could only afford a low thread count cotton when I had moved into my dorm. I sat up automatically and my mind leapt into hyper drive.

I surveyed my surroundings. The bed that I was in was much larger than my own and I had been right, this was definitely silk. And silk was only the beginning. The whole place was gorgeous and elegant. A plush headboard was behind my head, an ornate mirror hung on the wall, and a glittering chandelier hung over the foot of the bed just to boast the luxury. But as beautiful as this place was it was not my own and I still had no idea how I got here.

Then I remembered the park ranger. If he even had been a park ranger. Chad, I think his name was. And the pinch of pain that led to me dropping like dead weight in his arms.

I'm sorry princess.

What the hell did that even mean and why was I here now? And how had I gotten here in the first place?

I glanced around the room again. Though I knew someone had put me here, someone had brought me into this room and placed me on this bed there was no one in sight. Whoever had put me here had left which made me wonder how long I had been here.

I slid out of the glorious bed with a slowness that made me almost silent. There was a small amount of comfort in the fact that I was wearing my own clothing, but it felt dirty, like I had been wearing it for three days straight. My eyes landed on a set of clothing that was laid out over a dresser. They looked to be about my size, but the jeans were a brand that I couldn't afford even after a good night of stripping. I debated putting them on, but decided against it. wherever I was I didn't want to be taking things that weren't mine, even if they were intended for me. luckily, I found my runners and pulled them on my feet before I padded over to the large window.

The grounds outside were manicured and green. It wasn't the red of Utah or the mountains of Denver. This was different entirely. And even worse, I was on the second floor.

Then I did nothing. I held my breath and glanced around. There was three doors in the bedroom. Two were open. One was a beautiful walk in closet that was mostly empty while the other led to a gorgeous, all white bathroom. That meant the third door would lead to my way out. Through my silence and my stillness I was able to determine that there was no one on the other side of the door.

But when I pulled open the door there was no immediate freedom. I was greeted with a long hallway of doors and hardwood flooring. Thankfully, at one end I saw the top of a stair case. It would lead to my way out. I stepped out slowly, but it seemed that no matter how gradually I moved the floorboard creaked loudly under my foot. And if silence wasn't my option then speed would be. I took off at a sprint, moving towards the staircase at the end of the hallway. It would take me down a floor and there I could escape with ease.

My sneakers let out awful squeals as I moved and the floorboards groaned with each step. I felt like each sound was the equivalent to a gunshot but I refused to slow down. I moved down the grand stair case so quickly I was almost impressed that I didn't fall down it instead. And when I reached the bottom I froze in a grand foyer.

There was incredible marble everywhere and it was all so white it was almost angelic. But it wasn't the grandness that stopped me in my tracks. It was the woman wearing smooth dress pants and a fitted blazer that made me hold my breath. She seemed just as surprised to see me as I was her.

"Hello," she said with a soft nod of her head. I noticed a small tiara sparkling in her dark hair when her head moved.

I said nothing, just gawked. Her brow furrowed at this. she looked like she was waiting for me to do something, almost like my absence of action was disrespectful.

"You must be Keiko, I've heard so much about you," she continued. There was a smile on her face now, but it was too tense to be comforting. She knew something was wrong just as well as I did. But why wasn't she upset that there was a stranger in her house? Surely, she couldn't have brought me here. I didn't remember her at all. Then again, I wasn't able to recall a lot at this point.

Her vibrant eyes moved to the second person in the foyer. Someone who seemed to be wearing a uniform and was too afraid to move.

"Ivan, could you please find Ajax and tell him that Keiko is awake?"

Her voice was buttery smooth but I knew that name.

That was the man who had started this whole thing. He had been with Chad. He had told Chad to use the syringe. Even though I couldn't recall Ajax being in Utah I knew that he was behind this. He had to be.

I didn't wait for the woman to say anything else.

I launched myself into a sprint and raced towards the front door.

***Update 2 out of 2!***