S I X T E E N

16M E L T  A W A Y

16
M E L T A W A Y

˚✧₊⁎⁺˳✧༚

THERE WASN'T MUCH Levi could do at the moment. His mind wandered aimlessly instead of listening to his boss's information on what not to do with a camera. Last night's events replayed in his head like a film, while it did, he kept overanalyzing everything. How he couldn't speak to his mother very well and how it was Isabel's birthday.

He was disappointed in himself and he was certain that his mother was as well. Starting from the beginning of the day, to going to bed with his two favorite girls in his mind, he couldn't help but wonder what could have been.

He felt like he was suffocating in his own mind—trapped in memories he couldn't escape from, even if he tried.

So when Irene poked his shoulder, applying somewhat pressure, he flinched and drew himself away from his boss. Suddenly, Levi became aware of all his surroundings: the heat of the summer sun, the warm breeze blowing past him, the sounds of the water splashing in the fountain that stood at the center of Garrison Park, the birds singing. Everything.

"Are you okay?" Irene asked, her voice woven in worry and her eyes as well.

Levi blinked, still returning back to reality and looking at his surroundings, his mind blank and unfocused.

"Levi."

Once again, Levi flinched. Not because her stern voice, not because of the usage of his name which sent a sudden chill down his spin, but because of her hand that landed on his bicep. Now, he was truly brought back to reality, no longer in his daze.

He diverted his attention towards her, meeting her concerned hazel eyes with his stormy blue ones.

Irene heaved a sigh, shutting her eyes as if gathering her thoughts, and releasing his arm when she opened them again. She frowned, eyes still flooded with concern. She repeated her earlier question, "are you okay?"

Levi blinked before internally growing angry at himself. He had always hated letting his guard down around others, to allow himself to be vulnerable, especially if his mind was on something personal.

"You seem lost in your thoughts today," Irene continued, her voice calm and wonder woven in it, wonder to what he was thinking about. "You seemed lost in your thoughts the other day as well. Do you want to take the day off? I don't want to push you into working if you're not—"

"I'm fine," Levi interrupted, a bit too quick for her making her momentarily frown. "I can continue working."

Her lips pursed into a thin line, not breaking eye contact with him, as if waiting for his calm and steady case to waver. She eventually nodded, glancing at the ground. "All right. Just let me know if you'd like to stop, okay?"