the truth

Fun fact: Most of the time when I'm describing Ace, I forget to add his freckles.

Also, uwu

What is the one thing that inspires you?
—————
"I had just gotten out of the hospital... my girlfriend... my ex... and I got into a car crash. I was put under observation... they were worried about anything internal that they might've missed," he feels her hand give him a slight reassuring squeeze, so he somehow finds the strength to press forward. "Anyway... I was still grieving for her. I felt so guilty about everything, I mean, I was the driver... and if I had been paying attention to the road... we wouldn't have crashed."
"The hospital gave me some sleeping pills... I had real bad insomnia. I think I still do sometimes..." he lets out a sigh, telling himself to get back on track. It's shameful enough that he's unloading all of his drama out on her, she doesn't need to know more than the question she asked. Or did he ask it? Does it matter? "I felt like shit that night... not like it was much different from any other night, but that night, there was no one around to stop me from having bad thoughts."
"All of a sudden, I just had an overwhelming feeling that I wanted to die. Like... that if I hadn't even existed in the world, nothing bad would've happened to the people I love," he closes his eyes, they feel like they're burning. "And I just didn't want to live. I feared that if I continued to, everyone would be so much happier."
  "It's a stupid thought, I know... but I... still feel that way sometimes. I just feel like I'm cursed and everyone around me gets caught up in it," he hears objects around them shuffle as she moves around. "But that's not the answer I wanted to give you. The point is, I felt abandoned and lost... to the point that I wanted to overdose. But... while I was sitting on my bed... debating if I wanted to go through with it or not... I... got a phone call... except it wasn't for me... it was someone who was looking for their friend..."
  He hears her gasp slightly, but doesn't stop and just continues his story, "But instead of just hanging up after they found out that they had got the wrong number... they could tell that I was... upset and asked me what was wrong... the best thing that ever happened to me... was that phone call."
  "I've honestly heard everything they told me before, but somehow... hearing it from them was different," he lets out another sigh before he opens his eyes and looks at her. "It was like... I just wanted to hear it from someone who has never seen my face... I wanted someone completely unbiased in the situation to tell me... that everything is okay. That I did nothing wrong... and that no one else feels the way I feel about myself."
  "They... were exactly what I needed in the moment," he pulls away his hand and bites his lip. "So, I might regret my actions... but they lead to something great... and... it's strange, but lately... I've been getting these notes on my car... and they remind me of the caller. It's not like I've forgotten, but it's like now, more than ever, I want to find them. I want to thank them."
"If they hadn't called, at that exact moment, I would've talked myself into committing suicide," he takes a deep breath before he continues, "I wonder if the person on the other end knows, the day I accepted the call, she saved my life."
  Their eyes meet and he gives her a smile, "I still have trouble being happy. I still struggle with accepting myself. I still forget how to breathe sometimes. But, because she entered my life for just one night... a few years ago... I'm open to learning. And that's why she was the best thing that's happened in my life."
  She starts to laugh quietly, and that causes him to tilt his head slightly. She pulls out her phone and turns on the flashlight before she stares at his freckles face, "My answer isn't as satisfying as that is. In fact, I'm not even sure. Lately, all the bad things are so big... that I've forgotten to look for the silver lining. So, I'd have to say that the best thing that's happened to me... would have to be coming to this party and getting you as my partner for Seven Minutes in Heaven."
  He feels his heart skip a beat, and somehow, instinctively, they're both leaning in closer to each other. He slowly reaches up his hand and cups the back of her neck gently. Their lips lightly touch each other, for no more than five seconds, but the feeling is electric.
  A shiver runs up his spine, yet, he can't help himself from hurriedly putting distance between them, "Sorry. My bad."
  Her face flashes several different emotions, but she shakes her head, "It's my fault..."
  "It was a mistake, I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to," he places his hand to his chest, feeling his heart race many miles per second.
  "Alright," she holds out her pinky and sends him a smile. "Promise me that you won't tell anyone, an I promise that I'll continue being your friend."
  His eyes widen for a few seconds, "You consider us friends?"
  She nods curtly, "Of course. Friends check on other friends when they're worried. The moment you knocked on my door, we became friends, Ace."
  He gives her a smile before he wraps his pinky around hers, "I've never told anyone... everything that I told you. So... thank you for listening to me."
  "Anytime," her smiles drops slightly. "Also, about the notes and that phone call, I-"
  "Your seven minutes are up!" the door bursts open and Shanks gives them a big grin. "Did you two have fun?"
  "Yeah, I did," Ace stands up and holds out his hand for (Y/n) to grab. "Thanks, Shanks."

-