the class

Is there something you blame yourself for?
——————-
  Ace steps into the room, Ben is already somehow in there flipping through papers. He looks around the room, most everyone else is here as well. He can hear Ben grumble something to himself and he doesn't look happy, "When did this become my life? I could be anywhere, doing anything... and yet, I'm here taking care of a man-child... and his company."
  "Uh, Ben? Are you doing okay?" Ben jumps slightly before his face falls, noticing that he's been speaking out loud.
  "Yeah, I'm done. Thanks, Ace," his fingers run through his hair before he forces a smile. "Do me a favor, and forget you ever saw this, okay?"
  "Consider it forgotten," Ace shrugs it off before he sits on the desk Ben's using. "So... what exactly am I supposed to be assisting with?"
  "I never told you?" the older man's eyes widen as Ace nods. "Shoot. Sorry. It's not hard, just answer their questions. Also, Shanks said that once you're finished here, you can just go home. It's the least we can do for troubling you like this."
  Ace smiles, out of curtesy or genuine happiness it's hard to tell, "Thanks, Ben."
  They wait a few more minutes before the last of the trainees come into the room, then Ben stands up and all eyes are on him, "Welcome back, how was everyone's lunch?"
  "Satisfying," most of them say in almost perfect unison, it's so perfect it scares him. He forgot that saying those words was a thing.
  "That's good, and as promised, I have a special guest in here to answer some of your most pressing questions. I'll let him introduce himself," Ben motions over to Ace and he waves at the group.
  When Ben said that there were a lot of girls, he didn't know that he meant that more than half the class is female, "I'm Ace. It's a pleasure to be here and to assist you today."
  "Is it though?" someone in the back of the class asks, and gets a few snickers from those around them.
  "Well, I mean, I get out of doing my work for the rest of the day... so I'd say I'd much rather be here than not," he shrugs before scratches the back of his neck and stands up, going to stand next to Ben. "I'm here to answer your questions... or something. So is there something you want to know?"
  "Are you single?" a voice comes from somewhere in the room and as Ace is looking around to find the person who asked, his eyes land on (Y/n).
  "Yeah, I am, but-"
  "How old are you?" another person asks and he still didn't see who asked it.
  "Older than twenty-one, but younger than thirty," he scans the room, he should've told them to raise their hands. "But-"
  "Oo, the mysterious type," someone giggles before the person who said it continues, "How'd your last relationship end?"
  Ace's face drops slightly, he actually saw the person who said this one. He makes a mental note to not talk to her after this, but due to his sense of wanting to be honest, "She... uhm... died... actually."
  "Okay! Let's ask work related questions now, alright?" Ben places his hand on Ace's shoulder and gives it a light squeeze. "So if you have any questions raise your hand. And be sure they're related to work, this time."
  (Y/n) raises her hand their eyes meet, he gives her a nod before she smiles, "I'm not quite sure it's related to work... but I'm curious as to how you got this job, Ace."
  "Oh, well... my brother actually recommended me... and since I was dealing with... grief and I lost my job recently, I thought it'd be a great chance to start over," Ace looks at the floor but then smiles. "I was an absolute mess my first week, but due to Shanks' generosity... and the team I'm with... I made it through. I learned a lot from them and I honestly think that you all should get to know your team. They can become like family."
  Another hand goes up and Ace tries his best to answer their question. This goes on for hours, but it feels like minutes, and before he knows it, the day is over and it's time to go home. He takes his seat in Ben's desk again as he says the last few words and he watches everyone file out the door.
  (Y/n) is the last person to stand up and he expects her to go to the door, but instead she stops in front of him, "You got off work? Want to keep me company? It takes about an hour for the bus to get here... and it's pretty lonely."
  "I... mean..." Ace looks at Ben, who just shrugs before he motions to go with his hands. "Okay. Sure."
  They head out of the classroom next to each other and get into the elevator. The temperature outside isn't so bad, so they decide to sit on the bench in front of the building, "Those women in there were pretty insensitive."
  Ace looks at her, puzzled, until he remembers the question, "Yeah... but what do you expect... they're desperate and they probably just wanted to know what kind of man I am... or something weird..."
  "Well, yeah, but... yesterday," she stops herself, but then thinks better of it and shakes her head. "Forget it. Thanks so much for staying with me."
  "I could drive you home," he stares at her, but knows what her answer is going to be. "But something tells me you're fine with just waiting here."
  "It gives me time to think and collect myself before going home," she brushes a stand of hair from her face as it flew into her face due to the wind. "Also, Ryker wasn't exactly happy when you gave me a ride to work... I don't think he'd appreciate you giving me a ride home."
  "I know, I saw him today on my way here," Ace nods, looking off towards the road. "I... believe you."
  "What do you mean?" she stares at his face, completely confused. "What's there to believe?"
  "About him, Ryker," he nods, but then looks back at her and into her eyes. "He seems to... be trying to be better... I don't know. But I see what you mean when you tell me that he used to be nicer. Can I ask you one question though?"
  "Does that one count?" she gives him a smile and nods. "Of course you can."
  He takes a deep breath, trying to find the right way to word the question, "Did he always hit you when he got upset?"
  She shakes her head and smiles bitterly, "No, he didn't used to get this upset in the first place... maybe one day, I'll tell you about our relationship from the moment we met to the moment I met you."
  "No, I'm good thanks," he points to the bus stop as the vehicle pulls up. "I think your bus came early."
  "Looks like you're right!" she stands up and brushes off her outfit before she walks away. "Thanks for keeping me company, Ace! I'll see you tomorrow!"
  He nods before he stands up and walks to his car, noticing another small piece of paper under the windshield wiper. He picks it up, this time there's nothing scribbled on the outside. So he just opens it up, and a smile forms on his face.

"The difference between shame and guilt is the difference between 'I am bad' and 'I did something bad'.
   -Dr. Brene Brown

-