VIII: Fate's Cruel Choice

"What do you mean?" I gulp trying to cover my tracks. "I found him injured in an ally way."

Sam squints at me, "Do you take me for a fool? He's far too perfect to be trapped in a dump like this."

He's right and he knows it too.

"I wouldn't go as far a perfect," Zale scoffs, "no one is perfect."

Sam shakes his head, "Just because you aren't as handsome as him doesn't mean you have to be jealous."

I chuckle before clearing my throat as Zale glares in my direction. "He will be gone by nightfall Sam, no need to investigate. Go back to school and report to me of what you learnt."

Sam sighs dramatically and takes the pencil Zale holds. "Fine, but when I get back I'm getting the real answers."

"Oh wait," I smile awkwardly and walk to his room before pulling out his old wooden leg. "Use this until I fix your good leg."

Sighing Sam takes off his leg and replaces his before shutting the door behind him.

I lean on the tables edge, anxiety wringing my stomach like a wet towel. My mind is tearing at the seams as I try to make a decision. Should I stay or should I go?

"Zale you should leave." I push myself up. "You have to prepare for tonight and pack your stuff. When you are chosen to go to the Second Generation they are going to want to take you right away."

"We don't know that I am chosen yet."

"I do," I rest my hand on his shoulder, "every moment you have left before you leave is precious. Say your goodbyes and prepare to leave this life behind."

Zale opens his mouth and shuts it as Pa shakes his head. "Elysia is right."

"Okay," Zale's head sags with submission, "but I'll see you before I go. Right?"

I nod but keep my mouth shut. My final decision dark and heavy. I will never see Zale again, or maybe Sam, or Pa.

I need to run.

Once Zale has slipped through the door I snap around and rush to my room. I shove my backpack full of cloths and personal items, leaving the money behind for Pa and Sam.

"What are you doing?" Pa asks.

"Packing up to leave. Zale told Amell," I gesture my hand to the man sleeping on the table, "my name. Amell knows I'm a train runner and a Defect. If he decides he wants a handsome reward my life is over."

"Oh no... my sweet girl. What have you gotten yourself into?" Pa takes hold of my hands. "What will I tell Sam?"

A tear slips down my cheek, "Tell him I love him."

"Elysia, he needs to know more. You are his big sister."

Ignoring the question I keep packing, "If the DEU come by say that I ran away and took most of your money and precious belongings. Make sure you post Anti-Defect propaganda on the walls and table so if Amell tells them I am a Defect they won't think you knew."

"I can't lose you El." Pa's wrinkles break his face into divided sections, each filled with worry and loss.

"You will be okay." I zip up my bag and turn to him, "You are strong."

Pulling out my supplies I begin to tinker with the leg, fixing the pistons.

₪ ₪ ₪

I twist in a screw back in place as a muffled groan escapes Amell. His eyes shoot open as he looks around frantically.

"Easy there." I take the last screw and begin to screw that back in place as well. "Your fever is gone and it looks like the sun is beginning to go down. We need to get you out of here."

Amell relaxes slightly, his eyes falling onto my packed bag sitting by the door. "So you are leaving."

I glance through my eyelashes before redirecting my gaze back to the final screw as it tightens in its place. "Yes. You know more about me than my own brother. That's a risk I can't take."

"He doesn't know?"

"No, and he never can." I swallow the guilt in my throat.

"When do you leave?"

"Soon."

Amell grunts as he swings his leg over the table. "I want you to know I will never tell a soul. Defects are a beautiful creation made from love and not an experiment."

I pause and glare into his eyes. They peer at me with a startling twist of fact and honesty. "I wish that changed things," I twist the leg around. Satisfied with my work I set it down and grab a blind fold. "It's time for you to go."

Amell stands and closes his eyes. Leaning over I reach around his head to tie it over his eyes. Then I wrap his arm around my shoulder acting as a crutch. I push the door open with my elbow before spinning him around, once he's dizzy and unable to tell which direction we're going we set out.

Once we near the train station I take off the blind fold. We push against the people headed to the stage to present the two new Second Generations.

Sliding into a bush I crouch low and lean Amell against a tree. The train lights flick on even though the sun isn't down yet. I pop my head around the bush and smirk as the security guards leave to watch the annoucment, this will make for an wasy escape.

"Thank you." Amell taps my shoulder. "I wish I could do something for you."

"If you really want do something for me, get me a job and send the money to my family." I reply sarcastically.

Amell thinks for a moment and smirks, "I can try. Just wait a couple hours and I can make that happen."

"Yeah right," I growl peaking around the bush looking for security.

An arm yanks me up with a surprising amount of force. Amell draws me close to his chest and stares deeply into my eyes, "I'm serious."

The train whistle blows and I pull away, taking his hand I glance around once more for anyone before dragging him with me to the open train door. Giving him a boost up I lower myself down to the ground in a poor attempt to hide as I run away. A hand finds its way to mine and holds it firm.

Amell pulls me closer, his free hand finding its way under my chin, tipping it up. "Wait for me." He whispers before withdrawing his hand and disappearing into the night.