XIII: Her Soft Touch

I shoot up wide-eyed. My heart spinning nearly as much as my head as a tear slips down my cheek.

You are a monster.

I shake my head, squeezing my eyes shut. I don't want it to be true, I'm not a monster. I'm human. Wiping the tear away I get up and organize my room, placing my clothes in the dresser and my only nice dress in the closet. Sad how all of my worldly possessions were unpacked in under five minutes.

A knock draws my attention to the door and Winnie opens it with a stack of clothes flopped over on her arm. "Did you unpack already?" She asks eyeing my empty duffel bag.

"Yes, and I took a quick nap as well." I smile and open the closet door. Winnie brushes past me and hangs two deep navy aprons, three white long-sleeved blouses, two long skirts, one white and the other black, black dress pants, and an off-white dress.

"Wow," I stare in awe at the cloths, "are these mine?"

"Of course," Winnie smiles and pushes a strand of hair from her eyes, "it will however be taken off of your first paycheck. Now I need you to pick an outfit and follow me. Your training will begin once you are cleaned up and changed."

Bouncing out of my room she waits in the hall as I grab a blouse, apron, and a black skirt. Winnie directs me to the washrooms and shows me how the showers work. I lock the door behind me and turn on the water. The cleanliness and warmth of the water and steam wrap itself around my body while the months of soot, grease, and sweat wash away.

I hop out quickly and dry off leaving in my new clothes. When Winnie's eyes meet mine her smile widens, "You look so much better." She pushes me back into the washroom, "but we aren't done yet darling." Blow drying my hair she places it in a bun before taking my hand and dragging me down the stairs. I find a smile spreading across my face, I feel pretty. I feel warm.

Winnie introduces me to a few maids before dragging me out of the bunker and into the mansion through a side door. We are instantly greeted with the aroma of spices and cooking herbs. A familiar girl with straight black hair works on putting the plates of food together, pushing a beautiful woman who picks at food and plops it into her mouth.

"Oh come on Ren!" The woman teases wriggling her eyebrows. She has long curly brown hair, flawless skin, and pale green eyes. "Relax it's your first day working! Plus I have to ensure that it is presentable for my father."

"My name is Reneveir, not Ren. And we all know you have the best chef out of the top households. You do not need to taste the food, Miss Sanders."

"I told you to call me Leila!" Leila pouts, her hands dangling by her sides helplessly.

"Miss Sanders, leave now before you eat the entire meal for your family." Reneveir retorts impatiently.

"So cold." Leila turns as her eyes meet mine, they twinkle for a moment as she approaches me completely dismissive of Winnie's greeting. "Hello." She whispers under her breath.

"Hello..." I pause maintaining her eye contact.

"Miss Sanders, this is a new maid, Elysia Gale." Winnie introduces me as Leila takes my hand in hers and shakes it.

Without breaking eye contact she smiles back, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Elysia. I am Leila."

"The pleasure is mine Miss Sanders." I release her hand and clear my throat before breaking eye contact.

"Oh please," Leila sighs, "I am tired of the formalities. Call me Leila."

"Won't I get in trouble?" I ask peeking at her through my eyelashes.