Untitled Part 59

Chapter 57

JK was reading the dossier Julius had prepared on the Al Lafa Group jewelry in Dubai.

"The Al lafa Group from the outside is engaged in selling exquisite handmade jewelry which finds its way from down south in Coimbatore in Tamilnadu. But that's to the outside world. Ahmed Razak and his partner Biju Nairstarted Al Lafa in Dubai with the help of a local partner Mohammed Bin Khalif Al Raza. All this is what the records say. Our boys went down to Coimbatore to get more details but .."

"No one with such names and addresses exist, right?" quizzed JK.

"Exactly," answered Julius.

"We got the bank account details which showed that they bank with the Royal Deutch Bank and Bank of America. The bank account reveals that Al Lafa is a subsidiary of the holding company incorporated in the Virgin Islands which goes by the name of Westland Investments Plc which is primarily an investment firm. And this is where it gets more interesting, Westland Investments is one of the major shareholders in Kaiser & Kaiser Pharmaceuticals.

So we went deeper into Kaiser and found out that Kaiser was one of the largest pharma companies supplying antibiotics and insulin to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Three years back, Kaiser had purchased a majority stake of 65% shares in Straus Welberg Pharmaceuticals who were one of the major competitors to Kaiser in that region. With this Kaiser controlled 80% of the market share in the entire region. You could imagine what that could be like and add to that was the growing escalation of the war in Afganistan, tensions in Syria, demand for the antibiotic injection was huge."

JK had a smile on his face,he had a feeling where this was going. He sipped his black coffee and lit a cigarette.

Julius continued, "Things went horribly wrong for Kaiser in Somalia when injured rebel fighters and I mean small teenage kids who were fighting against the govt troops were administered antibiotic injections died. However, as the death toll mounted to several hundred, an inquiry was ordered which came to the conclusion that the antibiotic injections were not only expired but were contaminated. A lawyer David Mwenje filed a case against the company for compensation and damages for 500 million dollars on behalf of the families of the victims. However, a few months later, David disappeared. The government of Somalia also went silent on this issue. Theinfected samples also went missing. The last page has three incidents with a timeline that makes this very interesting."

JK opened the folder and read the last page.

1. 18th March 2014 Mohan Jagmohan, Indian special envoy to the Afganistan appointed as Director on board of Kaiser & Kaiser Pharma.

2. Five months later, 28th August 2014 Lawyer David Mwenje disappears. A few weeks later Surekha Jagmohan, wife of Mohan Jagmohan dies under mysterious circumstances at The Intercontinental Hotel in New Delhi.

3. Roger Brendt Visited Somalia a few months before his plane went down. He had spent a considerable length of time at the local hospital where hundreds of kids infected with these deadly injections were struggling for survival.

Julius handed over the two-page list of financial transactions between Somerset International Bank in Nairobi Kenya who were the bankers for Kaiser & Kaiser and Al Lafa's Royal Deutch Bank in Dubai.

"Two million US dollars were transferred to an NGO named Humanitarian Aid International in Afganistan for purchase of medical supplies. This 2 million gets transferred into the Al Lafa Llc account in Dubai which was later withdrawn in cash on 17th December 2016."

'So what?" asked JK.

"Chief 17th December 2016 was when Shukla arrived in Dubai and went to Al lafa's office. He left on 17th December evening flight to Delhi."

JK nodded and rubbed his forehead with his thumb and index finger.

Julius played the CCTV footage of Shukla arriving in Dubai. " He arrived only with a small suitcase, see, he walks out of the arrival terminal with just this one piece of luggage and hails a taxi."

Julius played the next footage which shows Shukla arriving at the departure lounge, but this time, with 3 pieces of luggage. He zoomed in on the screen. "Look, here he walks straight through the green channel and ", Julius pressed the slow-motion button, " see here, the security head at the green channel stands up and salutes Shukla, to which Shukla ignores and keeps walking. At every stage of the security checkin, he is passed through. His bags don't go under the x-ray scanner. And when he arrives in IGI Delhi, he passes security but only with his one suitcase. The other two is not with him."

JK was silent for a long time. Julius closed the door and came back with more coffee. "Who else knows about this?" asked JK.

"Only our team," answered JK.

JK got up and walked around the room. "Well done Julius. You've done a great job." JK slapped him on the back.

"Keep Shukla under 24-hour surveillance. But this must be done with the best of our boys. If you feel he is getting wind of it, drop the surveillance. I need him out there for a little longer before we close in on him. I want to know his travel plans before he flies. Make tentative plans to take him, but not on Indian soil. "said JK.

"Do you think he is Honeybee?" asked Julius.

"Time will reveal, my boy. Be patient," replied JK as he left his office.