Part 55

Chapter 53

As per tradition,all bureaucrats and intelligence unit heads meet Bharat Shah as he is the eyes and ears of the Prime Minister.

But JK called the President and requested for a meeting with the PM which was fixed for the next day at 8 pm.

As they sat in the conference room, Bharat Shah was glaring at JK. It was obvious that he had been sidelined.

Julius opened the attaché suitcase and distributed the folders.

"Your Excellency, what I'm about to discuss here with you is strictly confidential. The only two people who know about this from RAW are me and Julius. As you maybe aware in the 1960s, RAW had trained and placed a ground operative in Pakistan who "

"Come to the present", said Bharat Shah, his irritation very evident at being sidelined.

"Bharat, Shut up", ordered the PM.

"JK, please continue," said the PM.

"gave his best for our country for 22 years before he was caught and killed. Black Tiger was the name given to him by our late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.

Three and a half decades later, Pakistan or shall we say ISI under Gen. Iqbal has given us a reply to Black Tiger, Honeybee."

"And how long have we known this?" quizzed the President.

"One and a half years back, during routine surveillance on some phone taps on suspected people," replied JK.

"How deep is this?" asked the PM

"Deep.Very deep. We suspect honeybee is very well entrenched in our system, perhaps in the beaurocracy or the defense establishments. We have placed some suspects under surveillance. However, we have received some credible intel that there will be some major terrorist attack, maybe even assassinations of prominent figures happening shortly." he said.

The room went silent. JK kept his eyes on the President and the Prime Minister while Julius focused on Bharat.

Going by the past record from the head of ATW, there was a 90% probability that this will happen.

The PM intervened, "Are you very sure of this", quizzed the PM.

JK smiled. The PM took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Sorry JK, I know I should not have asked you the question but."

JK intervened "I understand but our sources have confirmed that the intel is pretty strong."

The PM and President nodded, "So what do you plan to do." asked the President.

Again Jk smiled. "Your excellency, you will understand that I can not divulge the countermeasures. All I can say is that we'll try our best."

"But that's not enough." remarked the PM in an irritated tone.

The President tapped the PM's hand and told JK

"You have my consent. Go ahead but please ensure that things don't get messy."

Again he smiled and JK left winking at Bharat as he was walking out.

Bharat's face was red. He knew JK was a master strategist and he would take his head in due time.

The President in his own imitable and curt style told the PM," Yogi, I have known JK for many years and I personally vouch for his credentials.Though he may not follow the rules laid down in the functioning of the government, he has the interests of the nation at heart and he will not divulge more than what we need to know.

So, I suggest, and may I say in your own and your government's interest that you leave him and his unit alone."

The PM nodded, not because he agreed but out of respect for the office of the President.

As the PM was getting into the waiting Mercedes to leave the Rashtrapati Bhavan,Bharat was standing and bowing to his master, awaiting his orders. As always, when the master leaves, he issues instructions to his servants, "I want to know what JK is upto. I feel he is hiding something from us."

"yes sir, it will be done" replied Bharat. Not sure how he was supposed to keep a tab on the chief of ATW.