Part 52

Chapter 50

The operations room was scattered with maps and dossiers of the top leadership of the Maoists.

Julius was explaining in detail the topography of the terrain where the proposed meeting was to take place.

"The entire top leadership were to assemble at what was called the safe zone. The forest areas under the Orissa and Andhra Pradesh border are inaccessible and offers a vantage view as the areas are on a higher elevation.

From the interrogation of one of the leaders whom we took in custody in Calcutta, they are likely to meet in the forest area between Kutchipatnam under the Sonapet gram panchayat on 1st Nov" said Julius.

"Do you expect Babu Rao to be there too," asked Somnath.

"Our sources confirm that his son, Munna will be there and Babu Rao will be there in the night to address the plenary session," replied Julius.

"We need to surround the areas from all sides and then move in. We use the greyhounds and Orissa Special task force for the operation. Back up we use the CRPF. We will have to fly the assault team 5 to 6 km from the forest area and then they move on foot."

All eyes turned to JK.

"Julius, you will accompany the team, but I don't want you in there when the shooting starts." Saying this he got up and lit a cigarette and turned to leave.

"and by the way, for heaven's sakes Julius, please finish it."saying this he left the room.

"Julius had a somber look on his face. He knew what his boss meant. They were atleast a dozen such operations planned but had gone horribly wrong ending with security forces being swatted like flies. And he also knew what JK meant by finish it. Shoot to kill was the subtle meaning. He wanted the entire top leadership and its followers exterminated. No survivors.

Somnath was on the phone to Capt. Vishwanath Rao, head of the Greyhounds Division.

Operation Maya was set in motion.