Part 37

Chapter 35

Her name was Sheela Patel, working as a school teacher in Ahmedabad. She was forty-three, single or rather unmarried and, yes, she was good looking.

After spending months talking to Sheela and spending many sleepless nights, Shyam decided to meet her in Ahmedabad. It was the first time in his life that he was going to North India and that too, to Gujarat. He was apprehensive and nervous as hell when his train arrived at Ahmedabad Junction. He took a deep breath and stepped out of the train. He looked in all directions but didn't see her. So, was this the end of this relationship, he was thinking. He took his cellphone and was going to call her when...... he saw her standing near the newspaper vendor. She was wearing a green churidar, hair left open and flowing down her shoulders. Her eyes revealed that she was, like him, nervous as hell, she didn't notice that he was staring at her and finally when their eyes met, she smiled, a smile that oozed of happiness and love. She first walked and that walk gradually turned into a jog as she ran towards him and held him tightly. He kissed her on the forehead as her heart was pounding violently, due to the excitement of at last finding someone who truly loved her and would take care of her for a lifetime. She took his bag and they held hands as they left the station. Sheela was never going to let him go, forever.

After forty, you slowly but surely start understanding that a new inner you start evolving. Though Sheela and Shyam came from different cultures and backgrounds, they both had a deep desire to settle their lives and lead a contented life, Perhaps they both needed security and emotional stability and that was the binding factor that was to keep them together.

For some people, life takes drastic changes in a short time, In Shyam's case, his life changed within sixty days.

He got a better job with a company based in Trivandrum which had recently taken a resort on lease in Port Blair in the Andaman& Nicobar Islands. He was due to join on Sept 1. Before that, Shyam made one more trip to meet his life partner. Though she was wanting to leave everything and come with him, he told her that she mustfirst try to convince her family. That would be the difficult part because they were an orthodox family with traditional values. But somewhere deep in his heart, he had a feeling they would accept. Added to this was the fact that Sheela was determined to live with him, come hell or heaven.