Part 31

Chapter 29

It was indeed a beautiful sight with many yachts in various vibrant colors and flags on top of the mast sailing through the blue canal with the clock tower at the horizon. A splendid post card photo.

The café was just on the pier facing the canal. The tables were covered with red and white checked cloth and the chairs were simple wooden ones, nothing fancy, but the ambiance was excellent.

At this time of the day, it was not crowded just a few tables were occupied. They both sat down at the far end of the café, away from any privy ears. JK ordered for some black coffee and some croissants.

He lit a cigarette, "You look beautiful Sherry, as always." remarked JK. "It's been along time, how have you been doing?"

The beautiful smile and a slight tilt of the head to the right, "You know what JK, you look more handsome than what you were seven years back."

He smiled and laughed. That very contagious smile which makes otherssmile too.

"Oh well, business is a bit slack, not like what it was some years back. Perhaps love and brotherhood seem to be getting the better of mankind "remarked Sherry.

JK laughed and had a sip of his coffee, "I love you, babe".

Sherry gave soft laughter, coffee in hand.

"So how have you been my dear, what's happening on your side of the continent?" she asked.

"Well, it's like old wine in a new bottle. From the outside, it looks pretty good but from the inside, it's getting murkier and murkier as time goes by. I guess, we really can't blame the politicians and their defunct ideologies, we all know the whole bunch of them are criminals, only thing is they belong to different parties. I feel the voters, the general public is to blame. Why do they vote for the best among the worst? I mean if you really look at it, it's as if we really don't care who governs just as long as the wheels are in motion. It's really pathetic." said JK as he gazed at the snow-covered Alps.

"What happened to you my darling, I sense a feeling of despair, helplessness, maybe." continued Sherry.

"No babe, it does not despair, but anger. Anger because I know what we as a country are capable of doing but we seem to be lagging behind because of a bunch of selfish paranoid idiots." continued JK.

Sherry could feel the anger in his words and his eyes. She leaned forward and took his hand in hers, "I know how you feel my dear and I also know that you will do whatever it takes to ensure that the future generations remain safer in this volatile world. So my dear, listen to your instincts and do what you have to do."

JK, whose eyes were locked on hers for what seemed to be an eternity, smiled. Hisinimitablesmile. She held his hand with both hands and leaned closer, "I wish I had you for an eternity, JK, I would kill for you my sweetheart and the pleasure would be mine", she smiled, the same beautiful smile he had fallen for eighteen years ago.

" I know babe, I know how much you love me and I promise you I will be back once I have finished what I have to do, of course, if I'm still alive." And they both laughed out. They ordered more black coffee.

"So lets reserve our secret romance to under the covers tonight, my romantic secret agent, so what brings John Kuruvilla, head of ATW to Brussels ?" askedSherry with a wink.

He had a sip of his black coffee and lit another cigarette "I had some intel on a LeT operation which I passed on to one of my boys in IB. Our team intercepted. During the interrogation, your name came up, not once but twice. And it came up along with two other names of known ISI operatives who were, let's say down the ladder", his eyes were focused squarely on hers. But she remained unnerved.