Untitled Part 57

Chapter 55

To the outside world, the job of a resort manager may seem to be very glamorous but in reality, the hardships he faces is tremendous, and especially if the property is a leased one, it's a living hell.

In Shyam's case, his nightmare was starting. The Kerala based GIR Resorts Pvt Ltd had taken Commander Singh's property on lease for 11 months, but the honeymoon didn't last long. Within a few months, the monthly rentals were not forthcoming, the arrears were running into three months and Commander Singh was furious. Inspite of repeated phone calls and emails to Shyam's bosses at GIR, there was no response. The salaries for the staff were not paid for two months. Since Shyam was the only representative of GIR in the Andamans, he had to face the brickbats. The pressure was on him, both from the staff as well as from Commander Singh.

But the poor guy was helpless. Even his repeated SOS calls and emails to his company remained unanswered. He was also running in arrears in rentals for his small one BHK house.

The nightmare had begun and it was surely going to get worse. He, Sheela and his dog Tessy were sitting in Corbyn's Cove beach around 8 pm, the sound of the waves was very gentle. On the eastern side was the famed Cellular jail where once upon a time, the hardcore freedom fighters were jailed during the British rule. The Cellular jail was strategically located in Port Blair where it was surrounded on three sides by the Arabian sea. Majority of the freedom fighters and political prisoners were tortured and eventually died in the gallows. The Jail was also known as Kalapani which in Sanskrit meant water of death. Once imprisoned, there was no escape, death was certain. It was a full moon that night and Sheela rested her head on Shyam's chest as they laid down on the beach. The only thought that was running on their minds was would they come out of the Andamans alive, or would they eventually die here with no money and no support from anyone.

Would they meet the same fate as many of the prisoners who out of helplessness and mental torture jumped into the Arabian sea and drowned?

Tessy began to lick Shyam's face, awakening him from these horrible thoughts. It was late and time to go back home. As Sheela was starting their scooter, Shyam couldn't help but turn around and look at the sea, the waves were now high and forcefull. He lifted his dog and sat down as Sheela drove away. He was determined to come out of this mess alive.