Part 14

Chapter 12

John Kuruvilla sought an appointment with the President of India Mr. Ashutosh Rana Singh at weird time of 22.00 hrs. The President, though perturbed by John's sense of unearthly timings knew that he was one of the few people who would risk his life for the country. The rules of the meetings were always the same, no aides, no phones and no wire taps, only one to one, for his Excellency's Ears Only.

John briefed the President on the security threats, likely events to happen from across the border with Pakistan and China, the ISIS threat and its impact on the petroleum pipeline with Iran. He warned about the fresh offensive along the LoC which would be much bigger and brutal. The government would have to react with decisive force. But the biggest challenge would be the threat of ISIS in recruiting youngsters, and all educated ones in tier 2 and 3 cities and towns and added to this was the smuggling of arms and explosives from the east and west coast.

Before the meeting ended at midnight, John told the President, "Till now, we have only reacted to threats Mr.President. We have been on the receiving side for the past 40 years. It's time we go on the offensive Sir, before it's too late. But to do this, the government has to take a firm decision. The ball's now in your court, your Excellency."