Chapter 51

The last-minute details to both Melanie's bachelorette and the wedding have made the entire family so tired everyone gave up on showering. Well, everyone but Julia.

Mel, Nia, Dad and I are working on the porch to finalize the little elements of the wedding, while Julia and Mom are planning ─ cough, cough, arguing ─ over the last minute things to buy and do for Melanie's bachelorette. Mel is forbidden to go inside, even if she needs to pee, and Nia has to sign a contract stipulating that she won't reveal anything to her.

"Do you think we should make our own vows?'' Melanie asks, chewing on a pencil as I type down the songs request for the DJ.

Nia slams the table with her hands, making it shake, and spilling Dad's " detox water'' on his pants. Dad gets up and leaves us on the porch with no one besides me noticing.

"You haven't written your vows yet?'' Nia asks not even bothering to apologize.

"I'm going to go change,'' he announces at the same time Melanie says, "We were supposed to write vows?''

"YES!''

"Fine,'' Mélanie says, "I guess I'll add this to the things I need to do.'' She looks at me. "Can you add─''

''Already did,'' I say. I turn the computer so she can see the document on which I wrote everything she needs to do.

WRITE VOWS;

RE-WRITE VOWS;

Book a hairdresser appointment;

Practice walking in high heels.

"It's not that bad,'' Melanie says, her tone suddenly more relaxed.

"Hun,'' starts Nia, "my vows are amazing. They took me three hours to write. You better waste as much time as I did.''

Melanie's throat throbs and she nods carefully.

"What else do we need to do?'' Nia asks, looking at me before she pours some "detox water'' in her martini glass. My entire family is on the "purifying cleanse'' before the wedding to "get rid of bad vibes''. Dad read something online about bad energy, and no one wants to take a chance. Even Julia agreed to go vegan and burn candles and drink "detox water'' until the wedding.

Six more days.

Mel and Nia have even chosen to wear "bohemian only'' pieces of clothing. Melanie is wearing bagging yoga pants with elephants printed on them with a white camisole with Good vibes only printed on it. Nia is wearing a flowy white dress with a floppy reddish hat and gladiator boots. I'm in my PJs; a big bun on top of my head.

"We need to call the florist to make sure the bouquets are ready,'' I summarize. "Then we need to go over the tables and make sure you're okay with the setting. Then we need to call Aunt Justine because it's unclear if she's bringing a plus one or not. And we need to pick up the wedding licence and─''

"Wedding license?'' Melanie cuts me off. "What the hell is a wedding license.''

I blink. "I don't know,'' I admit. "I googled 'Things to do one week before a wedding,' and it said─''

"Nee, do we have a wedding license?''

Nia looks away.

"Nee!'' Melanie is trying to stay calm, but her voice betrays her. "Nee! Do we have a─''

Nia bursts into laughter. "Relax! I picked it up with Julia already.''

Melanie hits her in the shoulder. "That was not cool! I thought we wouldn't be able to get married.'' But she's laughing, too.

I Do Until I Don'tजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें