Chapter 39

The next day, Melanie wakes us up at seven a.m. because we have a dress fitting to go to at 2 p.m. and she doesn't want to be late.

Don't ask me the logic behind her thoughts. I mean, it's not like it will take us seven hours to get dressed, eat and drive to the place.

"You better have some sausages or something," Julia hisses as she gets up of bed. Her hair is tied in a bun, but it's loose now and messy and ugly. Her mascara is smudged on her face, her shirt is all wrinkled and her breath, even from my bed, smells disgusting.

"You look horrible," I say.

Julia sticks her tongue out and comes next to me. She exhales in my face and messes up my already messy hair.

"Not nice."

Melanie claps her hands once, curses, and then bangs on the wall with what I think is a wooden spoon. Where she got it, I don't even want to know. "Hello! Get up! Get up!"

Julia and I groan. "Not nice," we both say.

"Woman getting married in a month, here! Now move, move, move!" She bangs on the wall.

"I didn't know I was in a military camp," Julia sighs, walking all zombie-like to the mirror. "Shish, I do look like I just died."

"Well, duh," Melanie says, quoting her. She's still in her PJs, too, but at least her hair is braided and she bothered wearing pants. "Hey, Ju, you got your periods."

"How'd you know?" Julia turns around in front of the mirror and curses again. "Ugh!" Her underwear is stained with blood. "I never bleed during the night." She takes an underwear from her drawer. "Well, at least we know I'm not pregnant."

I laugh. "Says the girl who hasn't even been out with a guy in, like, fifteen gazillion years."

"Shut up, will you?" She looks around. "Where are my sausages? You said there would be sausages!"

Melanie ignores her and walks to the bathroom. "I'm taking a shower before we head out to the shop. We want to look presentable." She says the last part looking straight towards Julia.

"What? You can't take a shower, I'm taking a shower!" Julia protests, already running to grab her clothes and jumping over the bed to arrive at the bathroom before Melanie who closes the door before she has the time to get in. Julia bangs on it.

"I stink! I look like a sasquatch! Let me go first!"

"I'm the one getting married!"

I laugh. "You can't use that argument every time you want something."

Melanie opens the door slightly. "Umm... Yes, I can. And, when I get pregnant, I'm using the I-am-pregnant argument all. the. time." She closes the door, and Julia starts banging on it again. With the wooden spoon.

"I smell like dog poop!"

I burst into laughter. It's been a long time since I've seen my two older sisters were in a fight.

"Let me go first!" Julia continues. "Your showers take two minutes, you can take it later."

"Yours take thirty minutes! We'll run out of hot water," mentions Melanie through the bathroom door.

"Hello!? I have a lot of hair."

"Not my problem."

We hear nothing and then the bathroom door opens up slightly. "I forgot my bra," Melanie says. "Don't you dare, Julia, go in first."