42

Talia's POV

"I beg this game doesn't get any more chippy." I say as Becky, Kelley, Corsie and I head out to our positions for the second half.

We're playing the Thorns at the RioT in our first game back from the Olympics and the score is 1-1 with Christen and Tobin scoring for their respective teams. The game is also very chippy...almost as chippy as the last game between us last year.

That's still the angriest I've ever seen Amy.

"Oh shit we're starting." Kelley says then we all run to our positions as Lindsey boots the ball up field.

I clear the ball back up field towards Jessie then normalcy resumes.

The rest of the second half could not have been more opposite to the first half. They're were no hard fouls, no arguments, no shoving, or no cards shown, but there's also no action in either teams final third so the second half feels like it's never gonna end.

In the 85th minute we get a corner somehow, but Becky heads the ball just over the bar resulting in a goal kick for Portland. As one of the ballgirls throws AD a ball I hear some racist shit so I turn around and face the area where it came from.

"HEY." I yell and approach the section. "WHO THE FUCK SAID THAT?"

Immediately everyone points out the dude and his drunk friends.

"What is your problem?" I ask. "Are you really that insecure that you have to racially abuse someone because your life sucks?"

"Fuck off back to your game." The dude says.

"I will once you leave or once I've kicked your ass."

"You wouldn't say that if I was down there with you."

"Come down here and see dickhead." I say.

"Who you calling dickhead?" The dude says and stumbles down here then he jumps onto the pitch.

The moment his feet touch the ground he throws a punch. I sidestep the punch, grab his wrist and head, then slam his head into the field. I then kneel down and put my knee on his throat.

"Big mistake." I say through gritted teeth.

"Talia get off." AD says. "The cops are here."

I get off the dude and walk back up field.

"Fucking prick." I mumble as I get to my position.

The last five minutes of the game are a breeze so when the final whistle blows I shake hands with Portland then head to the locker room to cool down. Unfortunately I am pulled away for interviews so I sit in front of the microphone and the first question is about why I got so angry and almost beat that dude into a pulp.

"There's a reason a lot of NBA teams hate playing here and it's not because it's a tough place to play." I say.

"Can you clarify your comments?" A reporter asks

"Someone should not be treated differently or verbally abused just because they have more melanin in their skin. And the fact this has happened twice to her here and the club has done nothing just shows the views of the club and the owner."

- - - - -

"Talia can I see you for a moment?" Laura ask as the team relax after training.

"Sure." I say then get up and follow coach away from everyone. "What's up."

"Mr. Hansen has decided to fine and suspend you for your comments after the Portland game." Laura says and hands me a sheet of a paper

"You've got to be kidding me." I say and look over the paper then look at Laura. "Is he here?"

"He's in his office in the stadium." Laura says.

"Are we done with training?"

"Yes." Laura says so I spin around and walk towards my stuff.

"If you're riding with me let's go." I say and grab my bag then head to my car.

"Uh bye guys." Kelley says.

Becky, Corsie, Kelley, and Christen catch up to me as I'm putting my stuff in the trunk of my car so they put their stuff in the trunk then we get in the car.

"What's wrong?" Christen asks as I set off for the stadium.

"Read this." I say and hand Christen the letter.

"Dear Talia, due to your comments after the game against the Portland Thorns I have decided to suspend you for the remainder of the season and fine you $20,000...Signed Dell Loy Hansen" Christen reads.

"WHAT." Becky, Corsie, and Kelley yell.

"This dude fucked up." I say as I pull up to the stadium.

I park in the closest parking spot then all of us get out so I lock the car. I then rush up to the owners office.

"Is he in there?" I question as I walk past the secretary.

"He's in a meeting."

"Good." I say then slam open the doors to the owners office

"Hello Ladies." Mr. Hansen says with a fake smile. "The new Governor and I were just speaking about you."

"I apologize for the intrusions Madam Governor, but this will only take a moment." I say then look at Mr. Hansen. "Who the fuck do you think you are?"

"Who..." Mr. Hansen says, but I cut him off.

"You don't get to police my views on what I see and hear." I seethe.

"What's going on?" The new female governor asks.

"Mr. Hansen here has decided to suspend me for the rest of the season and fine me 10 grand for speaking about my views after the Portland game, which isn't legal since there is nothing in my contract that says I can't speak openly about my views."

"Is this true Mr. Hansen?" The governor asks.

"It is." I say and Kelley hands the governor the letter.

The governor reads the letter then hands it back to me.

"We'll be leaving now." I say. "Don't expect me to pay your fine."

The five of us leave the owners office and head back down to the car then I start driving.

"I'm so ready to go to Italy." Kelley says as I start driving to Becky and Corsie's place.

"Same." I say.

"When was the last time you were there?" Christen asks.

"Almost 2 years."

"How long are you guys there for?" Corsie asks.

"Like two days." Becky says. "Then we are coming back to finish out the season."

"I need a long ass vacation after the November friendlies." I say.

"Any idea where you want to go?" Christen asks.

"Julie and I talked about going to Spain to visit Lieke then maybe going up to Holland to see my aunt's, uncle's, and grandparents."

"That sounds like fun." Kelley says.

"Mhmm...oh we're also spending Christmas with Julie's family."

"You know what you're going to get Julie?" Becky questions.

"I have a few ideas."