27

Talia's POV

"Fuck the Courage." I mumble as we finish warming up for our game against the courage. "And their shitty stadium."

"Easy Killer." Christiane teases as we walk towards the away locker room.

After we step into the locker room we split up and head to our individual lockers. When I get to my locker I change out of my warm up shirt then put on my gold jersey. I then relax in my locker while the speeches happen. Once the speeches are over I, along with the rest of the starters, head to the tunnel and I get in line in-between Desiree and Jessie.

Seconds later we hold hands with the little kids we're walking out then we walk onto the pitch and line up. A couple seconds later we shake hands, the captains do the coin toss, then I run to my position. I wait a few seconds then NC kick off the game.

The first 20 or so minutes of the game are a bit boring with neither team getting a shot off.

In the 22nd minute we have a goal kick so Christiane passes me the ball then I walk with the ball up field and survey for options. While I'm looking for options I notice Christen making a run so I roll the ball forward then use the outside of my right boot to pass the ball into Christen's path. The ball lands at Christen's feet as she's mid stride so she keep racing towards goal and right before she shoots, Merritt Mathias comes over and takes Christen's legs out from under her which earns us a penalty.

As I'm walking toward the penalty box I watch as Merritt Mathias grabs Christen's head and drives it into the ground.

"HEY." I shout then I sprint toward Mathias, who's standing over Christen.

When I get to Mathias I aggressively shove her off Christen then I get in her face.

"Bitch I swear if you touch her again I will make sure you never walk again, you got that?" I seethe.

"HEY." I hear the whiney voice of Hinkle yell so I turn around face the bigot.

"Ain't nobody talking to you short-stack." I say and tower over the woman.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Mathias huff then she throws a punch.

"Woah bitch." I say and catch the punch. "Really?"

"ENOUGH." The referee shouts and our teams separate us.

"What the fuck Merritt?" Sam questions.

"Get a grip Merritt." Abby says.

The ref goes to her pocket and pulls out both her red and yellow cards.

Hinkle and I are given yellows then Merritt Mathias is given a red.

"Serves her right." I mumble then I walk over to Christen who's now sat up on the ground. "You okay?"

"Yeah Freckles." Christen says with a smile as I check her face over. "Thanks for that."

"Of course." I say. "Nobody hurts you and gets away with it."

"Thanks...Do I look okay?" 

"You still look like a goddess so I think you'll live." I say with a smile.

"Thanks Freckles." Christen says while blushing then I help her onto her feet.

"Now go score this penalty." I say.

Christen nods then grabs the ball and sets up her penalty. A few seconds later my roommate buries her penalty making the game 1-0.

Our team celebrates the goal then we get ready to restart the game.