Epilogue- Continued

Family....

Nothing can possibly be more important, yet it causes so many issues. Thinking about it now... I'm unsure the fundamental is even worth it in the first place. James and I have been constantly reminded of our supposed potential of a family, but don't know how to act on it.

It has been a week since my birthday and I am unsure of how to put my once happy family back together. My mind is blank and my heart is empty, and will never be full again until my children are back.

"Ames, eat... you haven't in almost a week" James sighs. His eyes redder than mine as he pushes a blood bag in front of me from across the counter. I shove it back, he needed it more than I did.

"James you haven't been feeding for much longer, take it, and I'll feed tomorrow." He clenched his fist and straightened his head so that his eyes were fixed on mine. His red, thirsty, suffering eyes. James stares at me for a while until he gives up.

Raising his broad shoulders from his leaning position on the tables, he stands straight up, tension evident in his shoulders. I'm sure James is tired of my tireless depression, but I can't help but feel empty with all the events that are constantly occurring in my life. My empty life....

He slams his fist against the table, causing the granite to chip slightly. "I'm tired of this darkness. This is not my Amy. I will not let you slowly kill yourself." Angrily, he walks to his bedroom. Non-submissive of me and my apologies. I'll talk with him once I get my own feelings together.

I only shook my head with regret, it seems as though I'm losing everyone I love or loved. I open the front door and leave, entering an atmosphere darker then my soul. The yearning for my children have become unbearable. I know they are alive, I know they are close, and I know they need us. Those three factors are the only reasons I need to desire to be closer to my children.

Ever since my birthday I have been taking these nightly strolls. I have memorized the path by heart. Across the street, pass a straight line of trees, a forty degree angle to the right for five feet, and stopping at the pile of leaves in front of the willow tree.

Until I find my children, the willow tree serves as a grave. Not a grave for my children but the grave of a family... a family that could have been. I sit next to the pile, kiss it three times, cry over it for around a minute, before walking back home.

The only thing that's different about the routine this time is that when I returned to a supposedly empty front door.... it wasn't empty. Three red-eyed teenagers stood drenched in blood on my steps, pain, hope, and helplessness in their eyes.