young love.

this is part 2 to the previous chapter.

-

brett woke to an empty couch and the sound of rushed footsteps. he groaned and rolled over to where eddy was supposed to be, hands searching for the other warm body. he had been dreaming about the way eddy kissed him last night, so strong and soft and sweet. perhaps it was wrong to call it a dream, though, since it had actually happened.

eddy, who had woken up and remembered the events of the past night, scrambled off of the couch in panic and was carefully putting on his shoes, freezing when brett made a noise.

as soon as brett realized he was alone, he opened his eyes, sitting up and squinting to see the blurry figure by the front door.

"eddy?" he asked, "what are you doing?"

"oh, i um—" he stuttered, looking guilty.

"it's only," brett checked the clock, "nine o'clock, come back."

eddy made no move to leave, but also made no move to return.

"come on," brett encouraged, patting the spot next to him. he just wanted the boy who kissed him to be back by his side so that he could continue sleeping. six hours was certainly not enough for brett.

eddy sighed, kicking off his one shoe and sitting awkwardly next to brett on the couch. the shorter boy shot him a look that said 'go on,' but eddy wasn't quite sure what to do.

after a moment of waiting, brett stood up and placed his hands on eddy's shoulders, pushing him onto his back, into a laying position. the taller boy seemed uncomfortable, hesitant. nevertheless, brett climbed on top of him, laying in the crook of the couch and snuggling into eddy's chest, pulling the blanket up over the both of them. he let out a contented sigh.

there. that was better.

just as he closed his eyes, eddy began to speak.

"brett, i—last night—"

"shhh. sleep," brett mumbled.

"no, it's just, i'm—"

brett lifted his head up from eddy's chest and put a finger to his lips.

"shh!"

"brett, i am so sorr—mmm!"

brett cut him off by kissing him sloppily on the lips, tired and inexperienced but full of desire. eddy accepted the affection gratefully, forgetting for a moment about the mess of the situation.

the shorter boy seemed to lose his sense of sleepiness as the kiss deepened, his hands entangled in eddy's hair and tongues gliding against each other.

brett pulled away, breathing heavily over eddy.

"now sleep."

-

the two woke up, rightfully together, two hours later. they laid silently for awhile, brett tracing patterns onto eddy's arm and eddy running his fingers over brett's bare spine.

brett had never had the thought of kissing eddy, or being anything more than friends, but he was glad it had happened. something about the way eddy held him so gently had unlocked a part of his brain previously undiscovered, one that made his heart beat faster when eddy looked at him and made his stomach fill with butterflies every time they kissed. even though it had only been twice, it was clear to brett that he'd fallen for his best friend, quite hard, in just the span of 8 hours. but it was comforting to know that the feeling was mutual— or so he thought.

"why'd you try to leave?" brett questioned, breaking the silence.

"i thought that you would hate me. i thought i ruined our friendship," eddy answered, his voice thick with a tinge of guilt.

"i don't hate you," the vibrations from brett's voice travelled to eddy's chest, "but i don't think we can be best friends anymore."

he could immediately feel eddy's heartbeat quicken, and the hand on his back stopped skimming across his skin.

"what?" eddy said in panic, "why not?"

brett grinned at how cute eddy's worried face was, and sat up to lean over him.

"because i don't think that best friends do this."

he bent down, pressing his lips to eddy's in a short, but lingering kiss. once he pulled away, he intertwined his fingers with eddy's, waiting for a response.

"oh," eddy sighed in relief, "i guess they don't."

"so..." brett glanced at eddy nervously, "...what are we?" he cringed at cheesy he sounded.

eddy had no answer, and just looked at brett like he wanted to escape the awkwardness by kissing him again.

"are we... boyfriends?" brett offered cautiously.

eddy sighed at the word.

"brett, your parents, my parents, i don't—"

"they don't have to know," brett rushed out, biting his lip in anticipation. he really wanted eddy to be his boyfriend.

it was stupid, how quickly this was all going, but he figured that their affection for each other had grown over the many years of their friendship, and it just happened to manifest itself now, and there was no way to avoid it.

brett watched eddy ponder the thought for a moment, anxiously awaiting his response.

"i mean, if you want to... um, be my boyfriend, then..." eddy offered, not quite a question, but a statement that expected an answer.

the word boyfriend made brett's heart flutter.

he was eddy's friend, right? and he was also a boy—but it meant more than that. so much more.

brett nodded, feeling his cheeks heat up.

"i do," he coughed awkwardly, "i mean, i do want to be... your boyfriend."

-

it didn't take them long to figure out that secretly dating your best friend is hard.

and it certainly didn't help that they went to different schools and had strict parents who wouldn't let them out of the house if they hadn't finished their 40 hours of practice.

so, there was a lot of sneaking around during rehearsals and after concerts, stealing kisses behind closed doors and holding hands where no one could see them.

and neither of them liked it. the hiding and the secrets and the lies were frustrating. almost enough to tear them apart.

yet they had time. young love is rough—they both knew that. but the future held promise for them, and hope that they could live, and love, all in a world without fear.