emergency.

a/n: this is part 2 to hospital nights. if you have not read that chapter yet, you need to in order to understand this one.

-

another long shift, and eddy found himself daydreaming.

in hindsight, he should have gone to his call room and gotten some sleep instead of thinking about his boyfriend, but he was so lost in thought that the idea never occurred to him.

he was remembering that fateful first date with brett yang, nearly three months prior.

he'd taken brett out to dinner, as promised, and the night had ended with a soft kiss before they parted ways.

then they went on another date, and another one, and soon enough brett was bringing coffee to eddy at the hospital on the way to his orchestra rehearsals.

then, brett had popped the "will you be my boyfriend?" question, and the rest was history.

now, eddy spent every hour he wasn't at the hospital with brett. that included visiting him at rehearsal, going to his concerts, and spending entirely too much time at brett's house.

but neither of them minded. they had fallen in love with each other fast and hard, never once doubting their feelings.

eddy rested his chin in his hand, gazing absentmindedly at the clock. the hands showed 10 o'clock on the dot.

ten more hours until he could see brett. how he wished to see him earlier.

he sighed, returning back to the pile of papers on his desk and filling them out. this was definitely his least favorite part of being a doctor—the extensive amounts of paperwork. signing medication scripts and filling out bloodwork requests had never been so monotonous, and eddy dreaded the chore. he didn't have any scheduled surgeries for the night, and was just on call in case an emergency came through the er. but even that was unlikely—the hospital was, dare he say, quiet, and it was a tuesday night. it couldn't have been more boring.

after finishing up his paperwork, eddy reached into the pocket of his lab coat to grab his phone. he was just about to text brett goodnight when the sound of the intercom rang throughout the physician's office.

code blue: incoming 27 year old male.

eddy jumped to his feet at the sound of a code blue and stormed out of the door, rushing to the emergency room.

there were very few people around when he got downstairs, and a small group of residents and nurses had formed at the front desk.

"how far out are they?" eddy asked, breathless.

"2 minutes, 27 year old man injured in a car accident with a drunk driver. trauma to the head and chest sent him into cardiac arrest," the head er nurse listed off quickly.

eddy nodded, and looked around quickly.

"where's mark?" he questioned, referring to the attending er physician who usually took the lead on code blues. much like the rest of the people in the group, eddy had just shown up in case he was needed.

"he's with another patient, you'll have to take the lead, doctor chen."

eddy squared his shoulders and nodded confidently.

and ten seconds later, paramedics were rushing into the lobby, pushing an unconscious brett in on a stretcher.

eddy's shoulders dropped, as did his heart.