welcome to fatherhood (alt).

it was a busy sunday for brett.

he was out all day, having brunch with friends in the morning, running errands in the afternoon, and then going to his friend's cello concert in the evening.

he arrived back at his and eddy's shared apartment and was greeted by an eerie silence. usually, when he stood just outside the door he could hear eddy blasting bts, or the sound of his violin while he practiced, or even the clanging of pots and pans in the kitchen while eddy attempted to cook.

but, the only thing he could hear now was the jingle of his keys as he unlocked the front door.

"hey, i'm back," brett called out into the silence, turning around to lock the door and hang up his coat.

"hello," eddy's quiet voice resonated throughout the apartment.

brett turned around, surprised at eddy's proximity.

he did not expect to see eddy propped up on the couch like the queen of england would sit on her throne, wearing a suit jacket (only god knows why, it was 10 pm on a sunday night), head held high as he peered at brett.

oh, and not to mention, an orange tabby cat sat upon his lap, glaring at brett from across the room as eddy stroked its back.

"what is that?" brett asked incredulously, shocked at how nonchalant eddy was, just sitting on their couch, petting a cat.

eddy stood up gracefully, gathering the cat in his hands and sauntering over to brett, stopping just a few feet in front of him.

"his name," eddy sighed, "is franz. surely you've seen a cat before, yes?" eddy's voice had a strange tone of regality to it, as if they were living in 16th century england rather than 21st century australia.

brett didn't respond, and only looked at the cat with disbelief and confusion.

"well," eddy said, placing the cat in brett's arms as it let out a small meow, "welcome to fatherhood, brett."

-

brett held the cat awkwardly, not knowing exactly how to hold him, he'd never had a cat before.

"isn't he adorable?" eddy asked as he pulled off his suit jacket and hung it up next to the front door.

"yeah but—" brett looked down in confusion, "—why did you...?"

brett looked more comfortable now, petting franz' head as he purred in brett's arms.

"i thought the chen-yang household was missing something, so i went to the shelter after lunch and picked him up," eddy admitted nonchalantly.

brett just simply nodded in agreement, there was no way for them to go back now, so he figured he'd just embrace it.

"wait, so schubert or liszt?" brett asked, referring to which of the franz's eddy had named their cat after.

"both," eddy responded "actually, i couldn't choose."

"well," brett began with a wide smile, "i think he's wonderful."

then a thoughtful pause.

"as long as he doesn't use my violin as a scratching post." brett added, looking directly at franz.

"that," eddy said, slapping brett playfully on the arm, "is what your viola is for."

-

a/n: i'm just projecting in this one, really—

i want a cat so badly :(

still waiting for twoset to adopt a pet together...