the beats of a waltz.

a/n: this is part 2 to the previous chapter. if you have not read that one yet, you need to in order to understand this one.

one.
_________
as eddy walked away from brett, he made the conscious decision not to look back.

he slid into the passenger side of the car, sighing as he shut the door.

"hey babe."

the words left a sour taste in his mouth.

"hi, love," eddy answered. his boyfriend of two years, james, reached across the divider to peck him on the lips.

eddy shied away, pushing james' firm chest.

"sorry, uh, morning breath," eddy said, hoping james would believe the excuse.

james flashed him a wide smile, white teeth and blue eyes shining as he went to grab eddy's hand.

"how was the flight then?" james asked as he drove down the highway, his faint british accent slipping into his words.

"good," eddy let a small smile escape his lips as he thought back to brett.

"well, i missed you," james said after a moment of silence.

"yeah, i missed you too."

eddy was lying through his teeth. he loved james, he really did, but he hadn't been feeling too well about their relationship in recent months. he had used visiting family in sydney as an excuse to get away from james' constant presence.

the only sound eddy could hear as james drove down the highway was the friction between the tires and the empty roads, the faint hum of the engine was soothing his conscious. maybe he'd feel better about james now since he had been gone for awhile.

"hey, i was thinking we should go out somewhere tonight, like a date? it's been awhile," james broke the silence and squeezed eddy's hand.

"i have rehearsal tonight, remember?" eddy said.

james sighed frustratedly, his mood flipping like a switch. eddy could feel the tension in the car thicken immediately.

"seriously?" he yanked his hand away from eddy aggressively. "you leave for two weeks and now you won't even make time for me?"

eddy winced as james' voice got louder and louder with each word, the car speeding up as the volume rose.

"i'm sorry but i just got promoted to principle second i can't—" eddy apologized but it was clear that his boyfriend wasn't listening.

"oh, so you're still sitting in the back huh? ridiculous," james sighed loudly in disappointment, not quite understanding the weight of the term "principle second."

that was the strange thing about their relationship. they were polar opposites, but not in a "opposites attract" way. james wasn't a musician in any shape or form. in fact, he probably couldn't tell you the difference between a violin and a viola. he didn't listen to classical music, and he didn't pretend to enjoy it, not even for eddy's sake. on top of that, he definitely was not eddy's "type", his blonde hair, blue eyes, and tall muscular build was a stark difference from every other boy eddy had dated—or kissed. neither of them could tell you how they had been in a stable relationship for two years, it had kind of just turned out that way.

eddy's previous hopes about rekindling his relationship with james had completely diminished. he knew that james was never a particularly huge fan of eddy's career choice, but he had never been so blatantly disgusted by it before now.