Summer: Chapter 19

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Chapter Nineteen

Silas pushed against “Min” as She claimed his mouth again. “You’re not Min!”

“Don’t say that, Silas,” She purred and chased him around the table. “I can be anybody you want.”

“I don’t want you!”

“That’s not true. You want Me. You’ve always wanted Me. Now here I am, willing and throwing Myself at you.”

“But You are not Min!” he shouted again. He managed to put the tiny kitchen table between them. Already, his shirt was missing somewhere in the living room, and his jeans were unbuttoned. “Min” huffed and vanished. A heartbeat later, She manifested behind him, scaring his skin off by nuzzling his neck.

“Christ!” He spun and tripped over a chair leg. Tumbling to the linoleum floor, She pounced on him.

“Oh, Silas. Kinky. I’d much rather go to the bedroom.” She kissed his neck as he wrestled against Her octopus hands.

“Get off me!”

Lust, desire, want, fervor, and everything else that fired his blood rushed at him with the force of a hurricane. He fought against it, and he sweated. He tamped down the urge, and his lungs ached from the effort. Desi strengthened Her surge of power, and he pictured the real Min in his head, smiling up at him, caressing him with her words, causing that peculiar music to reverberate his brain…

His resistance popped. No music. This “Min” touched him, and no music…no poetry…no nothing. He did not need to resist any more. This was not Min, and he didn’t want anyone else.

Desi sat up. No longer in the guise of the woman he loved, She frowned at him. Her appearance shimmied into Min again, but the effect wouldn’t stick. Blonde, blue-eyed Desi sat on his hips.

More potent desire slapped at him. His mind swatted it away.

“What are you doing? How…how can you do that?”

“I don’t love You,” he said simply from the cold floor.

She scrambled off him. “You—you can’t…you can’t do that! It’s not possible.”

“I love Min,” he said, standing up and facing Her. “She loves me. Nothing You can do will change that.”

“But…but…” She stammered. “You’re human! Your soul…it’s human! It’s…” Her gaze pierced through him, looking deep inside. Whatever She saw caused Her mouth to open wide in a silent wail, and a strange glow form around Her body.

“What is it?” he demanded, advancing on Her. “What do You see?”

Desi cowered back into the wall. “Oh, no! She really did meld with you. You’ve got…” She stopped and stared at him, snapping Her jaw closed with an echoing click.

“I’ve got what?” he asked hotly. “What do I have?”

He gripped Her arms above the elbows and shook Her. Never in his life had he wanted to physically hurt a woman – not that She was a woman, in the technical sense of the word – but he couldn’t seem to stop the buildup of violence that consumed him. Desi didn’t seem to notice, or even care if She had noticed.

“Oh, no, no, no…” She howled and twisted Her hands together. “He’s going to have a fit!” Then She was gone, leaving his fists to grasp at air.