Summer: Chapter 18

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Chapter Eighteen

“Now what was all that about?”

Seth and his uncle waved good-bye and entered their own home. Amber and Mae raced into the house to claim first shower. Ashley barricaded the open front door, fists planted on hips and glowering at me.

“I don’t really know,” I lied to her. “Nick was telling me about his sister having leukemia and I was about to offer my help.”

“You’re supposed to be helping me,” she said straight at me. “And you’re supposed to be in love with Mr. Blake.”

“And I am,” I retorted, pushing her aside.

“It didn’t look like it to me,” she said. “You were making ga-ga eyes at Nick. Don’t deny it.”

“I will, and I wasn’t. His story took me off-guard, is all.”

“Maybe, you should stay away from him.”

Her suggestion stopped me in my tracks. I turned and frowned. “You realize that I’m the keeper of this house, and you are all of fourteen.”

“Then start acting like it” came her hot retort and left me standing at the bottom of the stairs, staring up after her exodus.

Damn! She was right.

What was I going to do about Nick? He as much as admitted that he liked me in a different way than just as friends. The fact that he was confusing my brain…well, confused me. He seemed innocent enough about his friendship, but a gnawing suspicion caught in my throat every time he was near.

Was he still on his path of seduction? Was this slow and steady approach to win my affection part of his plan? I wanted to think not, but I couldn’t trust the Essences to just let him quit his task. I had to be on my guard, however so far, he had proven by his admittance of the whole ordeal that he wasn’t still trying to conquer my affection.

The only thing to do was let what happened happen, and pray that my reservations were in error.

Silas called a little while after the other girls came home. “Where’ve you been? I called an hour ago.”

“We went to the movie at the park.” No need to tell him about Nick’s attendance.

“What are you doing now?”

“Getting ready for bed. What are you doing now?”

“I’m in bed.”

I smiled. “Oh, really?”

He chuckled through the phone. “Got your book handy?”

“I do.”

“Would you mind?”

“Would I mind what?”

“Oh, Min,” he breathed, “Do I have to beg?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Please.” His voice lowered to a husky level. “Read to me, Min. I need to hear your voice.”

I picked up the book of poetry and read into the night. Silas listened in silence. Finally, he said, “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

We hung up and I went to sleep.

*****

Sleep was a problem for Silas, as it had been all week. He met his next door neighbor again as he rotated the key in the lock of his apartment for the fourth time this week. She said, “Hi,” and he dodged inside and bolted the locks tight. That same desire filled him to the brim. Min never exactly explained who Desi was, but he had a good idea.