Chapter 66

The gas lamp he carried looked like a fire fly within the darkness. He walked down the forest path he knew like the palm of his hand, despite being there late at night.
He didn't mind; he preferred the night time than the day. Everything stood covered under the dark cloak of the night. He could move free. Without people pointing out. Without prejudice. Without feeling different. Feeling invisible and invincible.

The darkness didn't have limits. Everything was possible in it. There was no fear.

No fear.

No.

Fear.

Christian's plan ambitious in its conception, had no place for fear. While he walked alone at almost midnight, towards the cabin in the woods, he felt fear for the first time.

Hidden at a corner of the Kings Cross platform for the train to Glasgow, he stood so close and yet so far from the girl he had loved, just a few hours ago.

The worry in her eyes, he could see, while she flexed her body and stood at her toes, staring at  people walking, coming and going. Peering through lowered hats.

Upon this wordless farewell to her, his eyes felt hot, his vision clouded and he bowed his head down to dispel the ache. When he raised his head again, she was gone.

Terry hadn't appeared up till then and that had him worried. Had he not showed up, what would he have done, he hadn't thought of. In all probability, he would have jumped on that train, take Rose, explain everything and hope for the best.

The moment of no return was upon him and he came out of his hiding, having pulled the paperboy cap way down his face, hiding his eyes from anyone's view. A man approached the platform fast and passed him by before stopping on his tracks, turned and saw him.

Christian hadn't realised the man with the dark blue fedora hat who has stopped, was Terry. The two men acknowledged each other. Terry approached him. Mixed relief with disappointment washed over inside Christian.

"I'm here for her." Terry said quietly, wanting  to make his reason for being there clear.

"That's good enough for me." Christian replied.

"One question though... is something going on between you and that Diamond lass?" Terry asked. 

Christian stared at him for a few moments. He could tell, Terry knew something. But there was no time to explain. Whatever time Christian had, was already expired.

"No." He answered in the end, wanting for Terry to get going. "You don't have time, if you'll be on that train.

The whistle of the platform manager was heard.

"We have to talk when we'll be back. I don't even know what this goddamn plan of yours is, and she's involved whether you like it or not." Terry said, looking serious. Determined to finally draw the line in their triangle.

"You'll see once you're back, we'll talk."

Terry nodded. He pulled his hat down. Didn't say another word. Turned and started to walk away towards the train.

"Take care of her." Christian's last words made him slow down and then he speeded up again. The doors of the train were just about to close.

He could see the outline of the cabin. He could see the light from the petrol lamp coming through its small windows. He had been away most of the day. He had left Alice on her own again and hoped this time, he wouldn't have any surprises when he came back.