Chapter 4

They got off at Chelsea. Christian's neighbourhood. It felt like an eternity from the time she had entered the public house in Shoreditch.

"You haven't told me your name...", Christian spoke first, breaking the silence between them as they were walking away from the bus stop.

They stopped and she looked at him. A unexpected sense of familiarity overtook her senses for a couple of seconds and she was taken aback by surprise.

"Oh, you are absolutely right! How rude of myself!", she exclaimed with a smile

"I am Rose...Rose White".

Candy lied about her name. She had lied ever since she arrived in London. With Albert's passing, she wanted to denounce everything. Even her own name which at her darkest moment, she thought it was cursed. A fate of loosing everyone she loved. Then just like Albert and Great Uncle William. She had decided the moment she set her foot to British soil. Like her brother and guardian, she would live another life here under another name. That of Rose White. The famous Ardley business need not to know. Her beloved George who had come to be like a father figure for her, together with Archie took care of the running of their assets. And for her there was a sizeable fund to do as please. She didn't want much for her. She kept Pony's home safe and secure, some time she'd invest under George's guidance and help other charities, hospitals, orphanages. Tried to spread the money as much as she could. Certainly were not bringing her happiness in just spending them, but spending them to create security, to stop people from worrying about tomorrow...that was a goal she cherished striving for.

She gave him her hand, feeling his cool long slender fingers wrapping around it, in a firm handshake, his eyes still locking hers, taking her out of her thoughts.

"Pleased to finally make your acquaintance Rose", he said.

From the looks of the building where his flat was, and other buildings in the vicinity, the neighbourhood seemed a well to do place

From the looks of the building where his flat was, and other buildings in the vicinity, the neighbourhood seemed a well to do place. The air with thick with moisture when they stood outside the door. In the quiet of the night, she suddenly felt hesitant. She did not know this man even if he had come to her rescue from that careless act of hers. Wasn't it one of miss Pony's advices to never go into stranger's houses? Christian sensed her reluctance.

"I can bring the item you want here if you wish...", she heard his voice.

"But believe me if I wanted to seduce you, there would be easier ways to do that", he added.

She didn't speak but searched his eyes. The moonlight had dived into them.

"Ok, ok, yes...".  She exhaled, pushing any second thoughts away, flicking the back of her hand into the air as if pushing them behind her.

She straightened her body, her eyes fell square on his, and gave him her best smile.

"You are right Mr. Blake. Please lead on so I can finish with my quest", she added as they went up the stairs.