Chapter 6

But the Raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only

That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.

    Nothing farther then he uttered—not a feather then he fluttered—

    Till I scarcely more than muttered "Other friends have flown before—

On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before."

            Then the bird said "Nevermore."

Edgar Allan Poe

The Wind moon looked fat and magnificent the way its light was diffusing through the clouds in the night sky. Within the stretched shadows of the street, he was walking with his eyes firmly falling on Candy's house. The windows were dark. He approached with quiet steps. Stood right at her door for just a smidgeon of time and then left as soon as he had arrived. Having been already one hour late for his meeting he quickened his step.

 Having been already one hour late for his meeting he quickened his step

"You are late", the man said sounding gruff.

Billy Pike looked as rough and stern as he sounded. Of short stature and a face lined from the harshness in life, he wasn't someone who was prone to bullshit. His chestnut stare was restless as he scanned everything and everyone while he spoke.

"I know", the recipient of his complaint replied with a tone equally abrupt.

They ordered two pints and sat at a quiet table in a corner. Late Friday night kept the bar staff inside the Blind Beggar pulling pints without a break. After, getting their thirst sated while staring at the stream of punters standing at the bar, they turned to each other.

"So, where were you?", Billy asked bringing his companion's lateness to the fore.

The young man's stare remained firm.

"Had things to take care and they couldn't wait", he said without wanting to give any more explanations.

"Well, this isn't the way doing the things we do...", Billy commended with a low voice.

He looked annoyed, no doubt about it. His companion was getting frustrated to his need of prodding.

"Look Billy, do you want to do this...?", he cut him before he could on. "Or not...?"

"I can go home and forget all bout tonight", he added.

"No, no...the birdie's flying tonight", Billy hurried to reply.

"OK...let's not waste more time then", the man said.

They downed the remainder of their pints and got up, left the pub and disappeared in the night.