Chapter 3

The night had already fallen

The night had already fallen. A line of gas lamp hazy halos spread on her left and right as she was standing at the bus stop, having jumped off the random bus she had come on board half an hour ago. She had really no idea where exactly she was. All she knew was the bus conductor has shouted Shoreditch when she decided to get off, and that she was looking at a public house across the busy Friday night street.

Seemed like a jolly place, she thought and crossed the street. She slipped her hand in the inside pocket of her fitted tuxedo jacket and felt the folded paper.

 She slipped her hand in the inside pocket of her fitted tuxedo jacket and felt the folded paper

Audrey Perkins is one crazy gal. Always on the lookout for spontaneous thrills, a treasure hunt was suggested, orchestrated and put into action in less than an hour. When things were getting boring in the Kit Kat club, the plan was hatched. The treasure hunt would involve items related to the arts. She chuckled the moment she pushed the door of the London Apprentice, the lager flavoured air, vinegar-smelling and warmed up by the body heat of the crowd inside swept her face.

Let's see whether there is a painter in here, she thought, without counting her chances of finding one but she had to try something. She excused herself as she tried to open up a path through fairly inebriated guys and gals who were having a good time. Some guys smiled at her and others examined her looks with a sparkle in their eyes. Not many girls would wear a tuxedo suit on their Friday night out. Sweat started to moisten the back of her neck, making the hair stick on her skin.

This was one of the moments, she thought what a great idea was to chop off that wild mass of blonde curls she had used to try to keep tame with all shorts of hair pins, hair bands, put in ponytails, pig tails, buns, you name it she had tried it, her hair when they were long had a mad frizzy curly mind of their own. Although now, they were cut just to fall at the small curve of her neck, that sweat had started to bother her and she wished she had worn something lighter.

Nevertheless, a quest was a quest and judging by the looks a lot of men were giving her right there, she thought wise not to stay for too long in London Apprentice. Sounds of laughter, talk and music all at the same time were filling the pub like the constant bubbling of water boiling in a pot. She managed to reach the bar, looking all flustered, face glowing with a mist of sweat, stood at the tips of her shoes and shouted to the bartender for half a pint of lager. While waiting she took the jacket off and lit a cigarette. She was thankful when the bartender appeared with the glass of lager because her throat was quite dry. Aware that time was ticking, she gulped the lager down, had a few puffs of her cigarette and stomped it off in the ashtray that lay on the bar bench. With the corner of her eye she noticed a guy on her right, staring at her. She didn't spend too much thought on him, despite being almost certain his stare looked quite amused with what he was seeing.