Chapter 63

14th of July 1925 (Tuesday)

She opened her eyes to the sound of birds outside the window. When she realised where she was and with whom, it was enough to make Alice catch her breath, if only momentarily.

She remembered Christian carrying her to the bed. His lips were on her neck when - her voice just a whisper,  afraid to break the spell - she had asked him, "What are we doing Christian?" He had pulled back and she had bitten her bottom lip in response, her heart the shape of the wings of a sparrow flapping inside her chest. His lips had travelled to her ear and she had felt him suck her earlobe, his tongue playing  with it, and then his voice, soft and breathy - sounding almost amused -

"What do you think we're doing Alice?"

She hadn't replied. Instead she had felt his hand covering the mound between her legs, his thumb sliding down, teasing her, waves of ecstasy arched her body under his touch.  

Her stomach twisted with pleasure to the memory. She still found it hard to comprehend what had happened. Christian was sleeping next to her. He looked very young in his sleep, with the features of his face relaxed, calm. She stared at his lips. They had been everywhere on her body. The heavy linen blanket had slid down to his hip bones. His body was lean with every muscle well defined, broad chest, taut abdomen. She could just lie there, observing him. Then she noticed. The scar where she had stabbed him. She shuddered. The image of both of them, getting soaked under the rain. The lightnings on the night sky, his face. She couldn't forget his eyes and his voice.

"Stab me"

The hair on her arms stood up. Without realising, she had stretched her arm, her fingers traced the red line. She felt the bump on his skin. Her breath was thick in her throat.

His hand covered hers, stopped hers from what she was doing. It was a soft move from his part but intended to stop her. She pulled her hand back.

"I'm sorry...." She said to him and turned to meet with his gaze.

"It's ok." He replied, his voice croaked from the sleep.

"Good morning." She replied and gave him a smile of content.

He didn't reply. He kept looking at her. She realised straight away. She brought to her mind the river she was swimming into the day before. The exhilaration she felt. The freedom. She was standing on its one edge, and Christian on the other. The river remained between them, forever flowing, its waters  dark blue and silent. 

He got up. Watched him dress his naked body. His underpants, the charcoal trousers, the undershirt. Each garment covering him from her. Pulled the suspenders over his shoulders. The moment he started rolling his sleeves up, his eyes met hers. Nothing to reveal - like the river.
"I'll make us some tea..." He said.
Alice didn't reply. Seemingly fixated on him rolling those sleeves.

Back to business

That's what Alice was for Christian. Just business. Something had happened the night before and he was just ready to gloss over it, pretend it didn't happen.

It shouldn't have happened.

Christian disappeared to the room next door without waiting for her reply. She got up. Looked around her. Her dress wasn't there. She could hear him, pouring the water in the kettle, taking tin mugs out the cupboard. His white shirt was thrown on the floor. She picked it and pushed her arms through the sleeves. She smelled him on her, when she started buttoning it up.

He stood in front of the lit stove, waiting for the water to boil.

"Was I a good fuck at least?" She said.