Chapter 8

21st March 1925

London

Five o'clock and the streets were full of people leaving work. Candy and Marion, a blue eyed petite brunette, were coming out of the Good Samaritans charity centre having finished their shift. Marion was one of her best friends. The daughter of Elizabeth and Edward Lewis, the permanent secretary to HM Treasury. She was mischievous and fun to be around, but superficial. She gave a constant headache to her parents. The only thing they were actually happy about was her friendship with that American young lady who had shown up in London's social scene a couple of months back. With much relief, they had noticed her positive influence on their daughter. When she had announced to them that she would volunteer for the Good Samaritans, their jaws had stretched to the flood by their surprise. Elizabeth had to look for her fan to air her husband's face, since it was frozen for a good minute. 

Candy liked Marion. Sometimes, she thought she was "barmy on the crumpet" or as Miss Pony would say "she was dropped on her head when she was small" but her heart was in the right place. She hadn't a mean bone in her. So what if the only thing she knew was to party and act like a loony? She wasn't hurting anyone. Candy had suggested to volunteer at the Good Samaritans branch in Camden and Marion had joined her. It was such a new experience for her and had thrown herself into it with much enthusiasm. A fine mist of rain was in the air.

"Ohhh...that rain again! My hair will go all frizzy!", Candy complained and opened her umbrella in an attempt to avoid the unavoidable.

"You should have got used to it by now", Marion said while laughing with Candy's frustration.

"Of all the British things foreign to me, I think I'll never get used to that kind of rain!", Candy replied hidden underneath her big umbrella.

They kept walking within the crowd of people that had flooded the streets of Camden town. It was Friday, traditionally the day when everyone was hitting the pubs after work.

"We're all gathering at Her Majesty's Arms", Marion informed her friend while still walking. "Will you join us?"

"I'd love to", Candy replied, "But I have a date tonight...", she said and flashed an excited smile to her friend.

"A date?", she asked wanting to know more. "Don't tell me it is with this bloke, Christian?"

Candy's eyes were smiling.

"Oh by God, you really have your sights on Christian Blake!"

"I think I do! I sense a 'but' coming?", she asked sounding doubtful.

"There is a 'but' indeed! The guy is a player, Rose..."

Candy stopped and looked with an amused face at her friend.

"And what's wrong with that?"

"Absolutely nothing wrong, if you are just going for a good time. But if you're looking for a relationship..."

"Who says I'm looking for a relationship?"

Marion stopped this time and looked at Candy for a few seconds before bursting to a laugh.

"My friend you're incorrigible", she managed to say. "They say I'm nuts. Honestly now, have your fun, but be careful...you don't want to fall for this guy"

"Well, I'll have your advice in mind", Candy commented before chuckling at her friend's worry.

She was certain she knew what she was doing. She wasn't one for relationships either, but if Christian could bring some excitement and spice in her life for the time being he was all the more welcome for her. As if she didn't know what a woman magnet an artist could be...and she had found the worst way, having tried with everything she got in the past to get over that. She was sure she had. But at the same time, she had closed the doors to everyone, not just her memories.