5

C H A P T E R  5
'Seijuro-niisan'

C H A P T E R  5'Seijuro-niisan'

M E I

" THEN?!?! WILL YOU BE ABLE TO PLAY AGAIN?!" Tanaka screams and jumps at me, making me step out of the way and let him fall.

"I don't know yet, I won't make any promises. Tests will be run that day. That's when the news will come out. I'll write the news in our group chat." I explain.

I've waited for this day ever since I woke up in the hospital and found out the diagnose. I've been living with my demons and angels for long enough.

'You will heal, Mei!'

'Give up on volleyball. Your knee is ruined.'

These voices have been haunting me for months. And there's nothing that hurts more than knowing that you may have to drop the thing, your hobby, your passion and quit it. Living like that would be impossible for me.

The day of my final {scheduled} appointment finally came. I could not be more excited and more scared. Because deep down, as much as I forced myself to drop volleyball for all these months and heal fully, I know that there's something wrong with my knee. I've done all the excersizes both at home and at various hospitals and my knee got easier to use.

But about a week ago...I wanted to start jogging. And I did, but...I ran for an hour and when I was almost done, a sharp pain appeared and my knee gave out on me, becoming numb so suddenly. It was so painful...that I fell in the middle of the street and started screaming...tears ran down my cheeks without me even realizing.

I know that there's something wrong. But I want to hear the impossible form my doctor. I want to hear the 'this is natural. It's because you've excersized and your knee is weaker than it used to me.'

I've told everyone that I will text the news to them. But will I really? If I hear the news and they won't be good...will I really bring myself to inform them?

Of course not... I will break down right there.

But for now, I must stay positive. Both for the guys who are playing against Aoba Johsai today and for my own family, who had been very patient with me and helped me through tough times. Especially my cousin, Seijuro.

Suddenly, the sound of a text message arriving fills my headphones, stopping the music that was blasting for a second. A photo with captain's face appears on the edge. Messenger.

Captain🏐💪🏆
'Can you check the positions and lineups for me?'

I press on the photo to zoom it in and observe. Baldy, Sawamura, Ennoshita and Kinoshita Wing Spikers. Hinata, Tsukishima, Yamaguchi and Narita middle blockers. Kagayama and Suga are setters. The usual.