The Past (pt. 2)...

Yeosang's pov :

I quickly wiped my eyes. The pillow in which I had buried my face for so long was now completely drenched in my own tears. I slowly climbed down the bunk.

Seonghwa was looking at me, with a concerned look on his face. He gestured me to sit beside him.

"Calm down. Tell me everything." he said patting my back. His deep, calm voice was soothing enough. I stopped sobbing.

I've never talked about this with anyone as I rarely open up. But since met Seonghwa, I've felt attached to him. As if it was all a destiny. So I finally decided to tell him everything.

"Today is my mom's death Anniversary."

After I said that, Seonghwa's expressions instantly turned grim. He looked totally shocked and didn't say anything. He just rested his arm on my shoulder and pulled me closer before I started crying again.

"I'm so sorry Yeosang. This is really sad. But do you mind me asking what happened? It's okay if you don't want to..."

As he said that, my childhood memories flashed in front of my eyes....

"Sweety, I'm home. Look what I brought for you!". As soon as I heard my mom's voice, the six year old me, threw the toy train on the bed and ran downstairs.
"Mommy... You're late today!" I whined.
"Oh, I'm sorry sweety, I was busy. But I bought chicken for you! Don't be upset!"
"Yay! Chicken!" I shouted excitedly and hugged her.

We were almost done eating our dinner when suddenly I heard the main door shut loudly. I flinched at the loud sound, even though I was used to it.

"Yeo sweety, go to your room and sleep okay?" saying that she immediately got up. As usual, I tried to stop her but she just went. I hurried over to my room.

"Stay away from me bitch!" I heard my dad shouting at her. I grabbed my favorite plushie and tried to sleep but my dad's shouting and mom's screams did not let me.

This used to be my everyday routine. Mom used to work hard, and dad used to take all her money and hurt her if she refused to give him. I used to cry myself to sleep everyday, feeling completely helpless. I just wanted to become strong enough to protect my mom from him.

Almost two years passed,but dad started getting more and more abusive. He even refused to sign the divorce papers mom had prepared.

But one day, dad was drunk more than usual. As usual he started hitting her. I ran up to my room, totally scared. He was being more loud and kept on hurting her. I clenched the pillow tightly waiting for the torture to end. But unusually, it went on for a longer time and suddenly everything went silent.

I sighed and pretended to sleep, waiting for my mom to tiptoe and kiss my forehead before she went to sleep to. She does that everyday. But she didn't come that day. I waited for a long time.
Finally I decided to go and sleep with her. I peeped into her bedroom. She wasn't there.

I quietly went downstairs, hoping that she must still be in the kitchen.

I peeped and was horrified at the sight infront of me. My mom was laying unconscious on the floor, blood oozing out from her skull. Her head was resting on the drawer handle.

Terrified and panicking, I ran to her, rigorously shaking her hand.

"Mommy! Wake up! Don't act like that!It's not funny!" after a while, when she didn't respond, I started crying. I searched for dad and found the main door open. He had run away.