24 Reunions

"Hey, Em."

She didn't think she would ever have this moment again. She never thought she would have seen her again. There she was standing between Paco and Diamond on the front steps. She looked like her normal self except for two long scratches that ran down both her cheeks. They stood there for another minute and just watched each other. It had only been a week yet it felt like there were lifetimes in between them right now and the last time they saw each other. Lee smiled as she jumped off the steps and ran toward her best friend.

And then they were in each other's arms again.

"Adam was supposed to kill me," She whispered as she held on tightly to Em. "He said he couldn't do it."

They pulled away and Em had a concerned look on her face, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," She said with a smile. "What did I miss?"

"A lot," Em said with a laugh as she pulled her back in for another hug.

"Damn, I don't even get a hug?" Aiden asked. The two girls pulled away laughing.

"Come here, Devey," Lee said as she stood on her tippy toes to wrap her arms around him. Lee was even shorter than Em.

"It's nice to have you back," Cooper said with a bright smile. She walked over to the huge group and hugged Cooper and Sheriff Davis.

She stopped once she got to Adam. Her short self glared up at him. Em watched as her face softened and she began to laugh.

"You deserved it," She said in between laughs. Who knew a girl that's 5'1 could beat up a guy that's 6'0.

"I did! I know that" Adam yelled. "Can we stop talking about it?"

Lee laughed and shook her head as she walked back toward Em and Aiden. Sheriff Davis turned to talk to Adam but stopped and turned around. He was being too soft. Cooper stepped in the way and took charge.

"Let me do the talking," Cooper said as he turned to Sheriff.

"You don't understand," Sheriff Davis began. "This part of Philly is small. I have known these kids since they were babies. I grew up with their parents. It's hard for me to do this."

He didn't need to tell them what they were talking about, they all already knew. Adam knew too. Em watched as his shoulders fell and the color from his face drained. He looked so sick and afraid. But not once did he act out of it. This time, Adam Williams gave up.

"He isn't being charged with much," Cooper explained softly as he laid a hand on Sheriff Davis' shoulder. "He just has to testify. We have to take him into custody."

"It's alright, Sheriff," Adam spoke up as he stepped up next to them. "I know what I did was wrong and I'm ready to suffer whatever consequences my poor choices created."

For the first time in weeks, Adam Williams was the old Adam. Using big words, being polite, accepting the fact he did wrong. His attitude changed just like that. In a way, it was relieving for the teenagers to see him as his old self again.

"Adam Williams," Cooper began. "You are under arrest for the harassment and stalking of Emercyn Rose and the attempt of Ashley Montanez's murder."