Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

They were given enough warning to prepare the people they had, but not enough time to acquire any more – even with the new addition of the Tyrell army. So much of Westeros was still under Cersei's thumb, and would surely not help them, regardless of the fact that their own lives were in grave danger. And Violet had hoped Dany would have arrived within that time, admitting she was wrong about the entire argument and was going to fight on their side – they had no such luck. 

Now they were a week away from the night king's arrival, and they had nothing. 

One dragon. Six thousand men. One dire-wolf. One Queen. And way too many odds stacked against them. 

"Bran still won't tell us anything. What the bloody hell is the point of seeing the future if you can't help those in the past?" Jon growled, leaning against the table. 

Arya snorted at his observation. "We fight, Jon. That's all we can do." 

"Violet, Jon!" Sam came crashing into the room, with Gilly at his side. "You've got to come see this!"

Violet couldn't believe what she was seeing. She had no idea how it was even possible that he knew to come. And yet, the Dornish ten thousand manned army was slowly ascending upon the Winterfell gates. Their golden armor, and matching sigils could be seen even far away in the billowing snow. 

Violet was quick to mount a horse and dart out of the gates, Jon trying and failing at keeping up with her pace. Oberyn Martell and Ellaria Sand were both marching ahead of everyone else, both looking thoroughly annoyed at the winter weather that surrounded them. 

"How is this even possible?" Violet asked, following the pairs lead in leaping off her stag. She walked into the open arms of Oberyn, before Ellaria soon placed a deep kiss on her lips. 

"If I'm going to die fighting an army of dead men, I was going to kiss those beautiful lips of yours at least once before I go." Ellaria responded, with a shrug of her shoulders. 

Violet was so excited at their arrival, she didn't even fight Ellaria's advances on her. The woman was quite a beauty – Violet couldn't argue that. So she gave the woman exactly what she wanted, cupping her face along her darkened skin and sliding her tongue easily into her wanting mouth. If death becomes them soon enough, there would be no regrets between them. 

"And now you can say you were kissed by a Queen." Smirked Violet, pulling away to face Jon's shocked face who arrived at the scene, and a smiling Oberyn. 

"We received a letter from Tyrion and Vary's, requesting our support in your sisters claim to the throne. They may have subtly mentioned you also had your own claim and were in need of assistance in Winterfell." Oberyn told her. 

"Dorne might be quite a way away, but the dead will still find it if Westeros falls." Ellaria added. "We don't want to hide away on a little island while our people fight for us."

"Which is why we told Tyrion we already had a Queen, and we have chosen to fight beside her." Oberyn pointed his spear in her direction. 

Violet's eyes misted as she tossed her arms once again around Oberyn. Since the pair met, there was an unspoken connection instantly, and Violet cherished his friendship deeply. Maybe it had to do with their familial history, but there was a bond there that they couldn't deny. 

"You will never know how much this means to us," Violet told them, motioning her hand to the castle behind them. 

"Saving the country you live in seems like a simple decision to me." Oberyn smirked. 

"Oh, this is my best friend, Jon Snow. Jon, this is Oberyn Martell, Prince of Dorne. And his lover, Ellaria Sand." Violet introduced them. 

"Oh, I love your curly hair." Ellaria gushed, reaching forward to run her fingers through Jon's raven locks. His eyes widened, and he shifted on his heels uncomfortably. 

"Come on lover, the Northerners are not as free as we are in Dorne." Oberyn mumbled, pulling Ellaria away from Jon. "I presume you have brothels in the North." 

"We do." Jon was the one to answer. "It's pretty full, everyone thinking they're about to die and all." 

"We can squeeze in somewhere." Ellaria told Oberyn, pulling him back to mount his horse, the pair riding off quickly through the gates of Winterfell. Violet smiled for the first time since Bran arrived with the news the night king was closer than they realized. 

"You never did tell me how you became close with a Prince of Dorne." Jon grumbled, his hands resting on his hips. The snow was falling into his dark hair, causing it to stick to his icy pale skin. 

"The same as most of them go. Revenge." Violet responded with a shrug. 

"That isn't true now though." Said Jon. 

The pair mounted their own horses before beginning their journey back to the castle. 

Their fight to come was no longer about revenge. It was about survival. And there was no way everyone was coming out alive.